Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was informed that for my birthday I would be getting a new bow...I have $400 to use, I have noticed Bear Attitude, the Bear Authority is on sale for this price, PSE X Skullworks and a few others? I could use a little direction as I am completly ne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seth trudeau
    replied
    I just bought a brand new Elite Energy 35
    Very nice bow.

I would go on Archerytalk.com and look in the classified adds for a bow... you can get a hoyt,mathews,elite ect. bow for about that price. It will be a few years old, but very nice quality and a step up from PSE,Bear, Diamond etc.

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
    PSE BruteX got good reviews in 2013. I like mine and would buy it all over again. It shoots well out to 40 yds. The photo was from. 30yd group.
    Split shaft** dang autocorrect

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    PSE BruteX got good reviews in 2013. I like mine and would buy it all over again. It shoots well out to 40 yds. The photo was from. 30yd group.
    Thank you sir, an yes it can. I used to enjoy it and want to save them, now I pull the second arrow and first arrows field point and throw the split shady in half

Leave a comment:

• Montucky
    replied
    Originally posted by TayHawk View Post
    Bear and PSE make excellent bows.
    As you are completely new to bows here are some observations I have made
    If you have $400 remember that you will need a sight (and a peep if not included on the bow you buy), rest, arrows, field points, broadheads, a string loop, and a release. You will also probably want a quiver.
    I wouldn't buy stabilizer for two reasons, one they cost money, and two their helpfulness is highly debated. They do look cool but I do not have one on my bow, you can always add it later.
    If you are looking at bow packages I would consider getting the stuff separately or finding a cheaper package. Buying the stuff separately lets you spend more money on more important things (upgrade from 3 pin sight to a 5 etc.) and less on not important things (quiver and stabilizer). For a while Amazon had amazing Trophy Ridge packages (what Bear puts on their bows) for cheap as dirt, hopefully they still do. You also can pick up stuff at Walmart or the like that is good quality stuff and save a little money or get more of what you want.
    If you don't want to spend much more than the $400 you are getting then you may want to look at bows in the $300-350 range instead of $400. Economy bows are usually all a beginner needs and are more than capable of doing everything in a hunting scenario that more expensive bows are.
    I will say I just bought a Diamond Infinite Edge ($350), and while I like it, it has some quality issues that may be tough for a novice to deal with.
    I would spend some time talking to a guy or gal at a bow shop and with more experienced archers to get feedback on your potential bows.
    I'm sorry if I said some stuff you already know!
    The bottom line is, most bows are wonderful machines and whatever you pick is going to work great for you. Companies can't afford to make crappy bows nowadays. New bows are so far ahead those of even 5-10 years ago its mind boggling. Good luck and have fun.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Leave a comment:

• TayHawk
    replied
    Bear and PSE make excellent bows.
    As you are completely new to bows here are some observations I have made
    If you have $400 remember that you will need a sight (and a peep if not included on the bow you buy), rest, arrows, field points, broadheads, a string loop, and a release. You will also probably want a quiver.
    I wouldn't buy stabilizer for two reasons, one they cost money, and two their helpfulness is highly debated. They do look cool but I do not have one on my bow, you can always add it later.
    If you are looking at bow packages I would consider getting the stuff separately or finding a cheaper package. Buying the stuff separately lets you spend more money on more important things (upgrade from 3 pin sight to a 5 etc.) and less on not important things (quiver and stabilizer). For a while Amazon had amazing Trophy Ridge packages (what Bear puts on their bows) for cheap as dirt, hopefully they still do. You also can pick up stuff at Walmart or the like that is good quality stuff and save a little money or get more of what you want.
    If you don't want to spend much more than the $400 you are getting then you may want to look at bows in the $300-350 range instead of $400. Economy bows are usually all a beginner needs and are more than capable of doing everything in a hunting scenario that more expensive bows are.
    I will say I just bought a Diamond Infinite Edge ($350), and while I like it, it has some quality issues that may be tough for a novice to deal with.
    I would spend some time talking to a guy or gal at a bow shop and with more experienced archers to get feedback on your potential bows.
    I'm sorry if I said some stuff you already know!
    The bottom line is, most bows are wonderful machines and whatever you pick is going to work great for you. Companies can't afford to make crappy bows nowadays. New bows are so far ahead those of even 5-10 years ago its mind boggling. Good luck and have fun.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    nice group. That can get expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• I was informed that for my birthday I would be getting a new bow...I have $400 to use, I have noticed Bear Attitude, the Bear Authority is on sale for this price, PSE X Skullworks and a few others? I could use a little direction as I am completly ne

I was informed that for my birthday I would be getting a new bow...I have $400 to use, I have noticed Bear Attitude, the Bear Authority is on sale for this price, PSE X Skullworks and a few others? I could use a little direction as I am completly new to bows. Thanks so much.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad