Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How high do you like to go into the trees with your tree stand and do you have a preference for tree species to hunt from? I usu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cgull
    replied
    I hunt 15 - 25 and mostly use cedar trees, the limbs make for easy climbing and climbing up causes busted bark = cover scent.

Leave a comment:

• Big C
    replied
    15-20 feet seems about right. I agree with most above that below is too low and above 25 is probably not necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Skeeb
    replied
    I go up 15-25 feet preferably in pines. But I always have my safety harness on, I just don't feel safe without it.

Leave a comment:

• trophyslayer
    replied
    I prefer 15-20 feet. Anything above that I generally feel is unnecessary although some circumstances may call for it. 20 is great because you're up fairly high and yet not too high to wet your pants I'd also like to note my dad hunts from a 10' tree stand and has great success as well. He just won't go any higher. I guess it's all up to preference.

Leave a comment:

• t_holinka
    replied
    I only get up around 15 feet, but I would like to go higher.

Leave a comment:

• matouse3
    replied
    I disagree with the " less than 15', you might as well be on the ground". I have come across many situations where 15' is impossible, and a ground blind is not going to get the job done, so I have to hang between 10 and 15 feet. Its MUCH more effective than a ground blind as long as you are in the right tree with the right amount of cover and right wind. Don't get me wrong, I love a high perch, but sometimes it can't happen.

Leave a comment:

• wallofsam
    replied
    20' minimum for me unless I'm hunting a ravine. And like the other guys said a white pine is my tree of choice for both the cover scent and the branches below me for cover.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    I have a 25 foot cord i strap to my climber and my bow. When it gets taught or lifts my bow off the ground, i'm at my height. I'll climb whatever is somewhat straight with a bit of cover.

Leave a comment:

• MB915
    replied
    For me I go between 18 and 24 feet. Area I hunt has a lot of chestnut trees. My summit really grips well to these trees and I feel safe climbing them.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    There are very few pines in Kansas. Wild cherry, oak, locust, hedge and hickory are the choices. I like to use my climber on a nice tall cherry oak or hickory.

Usually 20 to 24 ft will do. Haven't had any problems killing deer with rage 2 blade broadheads.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    My ladder stands are 17 footers and I have climbing sticks that will get me to 20' if necessary for my hang on. I try to stay between 15 and 20 feet that seems to be plenty, both for me and the deer.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    Archery hunters should go no higher than 20 feet. The angle of your shot greatly reduces your kill zone after 20 feet.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    I've found that 15 to 20 feet works best for where I hunt in west central Illinois.

Leave a comment:

• rabbitpolice88
    replied
    Clay,
    Was there a hole in the tree? usually yellow jackets don't build nests in trees.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Jumped into a tree before the butt crack of dawn got so high I got nose bleeds then at day light yellow jackets started buzzing around me and found out there was a nest just on the back side of the tree I was in!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad