Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How high do you like to go into the trees with your tree stand and do you have a preference for tree species to hunt from? I usu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20' minimum for me unless I'm hunting a ravine. And like the other guys said a white pine is my tree of choice for both the cover scent and the branches below me for cover.

Comment

I disagree with the " less than 15', you might as well be on the ground". I have come across many situations where 15' is impossible, and a ground blind is not going to get the job done, so I have to hang between 10 and 15 feet. Its MUCH more effective than a ground blind as long as you are in the right tree with the right amount of cover and right wind. Don't get me wrong, I love a high perch, but sometimes it can't happen.

Comment

I only get up around 15 feet, but I would like to go higher.

Comment

I prefer 15-20 feet. Anything above that I generally feel is unnecessary although some circumstances may call for it. 20 is great because you're up fairly high and yet not too high to wet your pants I'd also like to note my dad hunts from a 10' tree stand and has great success as well. He just won't go any higher. I guess it's all up to preference.

Comment

I go up 15-25 feet preferably in pines. But I always have my safety harness on, I just don't feel safe without it.

Comment

15-20 feet seems about right. I agree with most above that below is too low and above 25 is probably not necessary.

Comment

I hunt 15 - 25 and mostly use cedar trees, the limbs make for easy climbing and climbing up causes busted bark = cover scent.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Red/Blue death divide
                  by Milldawg
                  Holly #*+€. More of this really. I’m to the point I don’t want the shot and have had covid. What people don’t realize is most people are tired...
                  Today, 10:15 AM
                • The Red/Blue death divide
                  by rock rat
                  We're now averaging a couple thousand dead people a day. That's quite a few. Numbers add up at that rate. Infections have been decreasing for a couple...
                  Today, 08:06 AM
                • Reply to Hunting High Up
                  by Ernie
                  Good for you!
                  I don't even read the political conversations......
                  Today, 10:10 AM
                • Hunting High Up
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you do hunt high up check out the Weatherby Bsckcountry line. The Mark V is the Cadillac and is still reasonable at around $2500. I have two but have...
                  09-18-2021, 12:06 AM
                • Reply to Bust gun buying trip
                  by WA Mtnhunter
                  I am of the opinion that things aren’t going to get better anytime soon. The supply base is severely damaged from labor and material shortages due to...
                  Today, 10:10 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X