Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How high do you like to go into the trees with your tree stand and do you have a preference for tree species to hunt from? I usu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How high do you like to go into the trees with your tree stand and do you have a preference for tree species to hunt from? I usu

How high do you like to go into the trees with your tree stand and do you have a preference for tree species to hunt from? I usually like to go about 20' if possible, preferrable in a white pine with a good canopy for visual and scent concealment. Seems like anything more makes for too sharp shooting angles if the deer is too close, and anything much less makes you too visible from the ground. Your thoughts? Good hunting, stay safe.

If you're not above 15 feet, you might as well be on the ground. I go with 18' and up, been in a 33', scared the sh!t out of me. 20-25 makes for easy sneaky draws and high scent path, so it's most effective without being ridiculously high. If worried about angles, think "aim for the exit". If you think about where the vitals are in the deer (study their anatomy), where your arrow will go in, and where it will come out, and can make a mental transect of where that all fits together in the deer's cavity, you will make very deadly shots.

But screw all that. I quit the trees thing mostly these days. I still do it sometimes, but I am hell bent for the most challenging hunt I can get my hands on, when it comes to deer.

Comment

20 to 30 ft. in pines(climb easier).
      I also use "camo" on my climber. Mostly get it from "Hobby Lobby" or gather from the area to "complete" my set-up.
      Had a scarry time in a "frozen" sweet gum one time so I generaly stay away from them now.

Comment

I prefer 15 to 20 feet. No slick barked trees for me. Pine is my preference.

Comment

I have a 25' rope that I use to pull my bow/gun up. I usually climb until the rope is tight so roughly 25' most of the time. I prefer pines but I'll climb anything I think the stand will hang in.

Comment

20-25 usually, I've been 32 feet and that was waaaay to high!

Comment

Pine is the best tree to clime, I prefer anywhere from 30 to 40 feet.

Comment

Jumped into a tree before the butt crack of dawn got so high I got nose bleeds then at day light yellow jackets started buzzing around me and found out there was a nest just on the back side of the tree I was in!

Comment

Clay,
                  Was there a hole in the tree? usually yellow jackets don't build nests in trees.

Comment

I've found that 15 to 20 feet works best for where I hunt in west central Illinois.

Comment

Archery hunters should go no higher than 20 feet. The angle of your shot greatly reduces your kill zone after 20 feet.

Comment

My ladder stands are 17 footers and I have climbing sticks that will get me to 20' if necessary for my hang on. I try to stay between 15 and 20 feet that seems to be plenty, both for me and the deer.

Comment

There are very few pines in Kansas. Wild cherry, oak, locust, hedge and hickory are the choices. I like to use my climber on a nice tall cherry oak or hickory.

Usually 20 to 24 ft will do. Haven't had any problems killing deer with rage 2 blade broadheads.

Comment

For me I go between 18 and 24 feet. Area I hunt has a lot of chestnut trees. My summit really grips well to these trees and I feel safe climbing them.

Comment

I have a 25 foot cord i strap to my climber and my bow. When it gets taught or lifts my bow off the ground, i'm at my height. I'll climb whatever is somewhat straight with a bit of cover.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad