Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am slightly nearsighted and wear contacts to help me see at a distance while hunting and when I'm shooting my bow. The problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am slightly nearsighted and wear contacts to help me see at a distance while hunting and when I'm shooting my bow. The problem

I am slightly nearsighted and wear contacts to help me see at a distance while hunting and when I'm shooting my bow. The problem I have is that when my target is in focus, my pins blur out so bad that I can barely see them. Without my contacts, my pins are fine, but the target is blurry. I've read about hooded peeps reducing glare, and one which accepts a verifier lens to keep pins in focus. Has anyone used these or had this same problem? Thanks!

My problem was glasses getting fogged up at the worst possible time or sliding down my nose. I tried contacts and was unhappy with the results. Finally went to Discover Vision Center and had Lazer eye surgery. Now I have 20/20 vision. They can show you what your vision will be like after the surgery before you decide. They can adjust one eye for reading and one for distance. However I saw even better with both eyes adjusted for distance and use reading glasses for fine print.

Comment

I had the same problem and got the Lazer eye surgery like Del. I had both eyes done the same too. That doesn't help your reading vision or ability to focus easily at close range but it took care of the problem you are experiencing. If you don't have the surgery, then you will have to focus on the pins. If you have to pick one, you need to be focused on the pin and let the bleary target sit in the background. It really isn't possible to completely focus on both anyway and the pins are the preference.

Comment

Shooting with both eyes wide open without a peep sight gives you the best view of your pins and your target. Your string should also be between your eyes and not in front of your shooting eye. The less you have in front of your eyes the better vision you will have.

Dakota is correct. Focus on your pins and let the target blur a little.

Watch Byron Ferguson shoot sometime. Traditional archers go a step further and cant the bow to get the riser out of the way.

Try fiber optic sights if you have not already.

Comment

In reality, though, you just aren't going to have all 3 points in focus at the same time. It's called "depth of field", and works the same with humans as it does cameras. What you say sounds perfectly normal that way.

You have to practice changing your focal point. Especially with people who use open sights.

Generally, you get your rear peep sight in focus to line up. Then check the front sight, and center it on the target.

Even the Marine Corps marksmanship training says it...

Sight Alignment:
          "When the clear tip of the front sight post is halfway up, and centered from left to right, in the fuzzy rear sight aperture."

Comment

I got rid of my peep and use a kisser button to be assured of a correct anchor point. Yes a lot of practice and one can do away with such things but I got to many other things to do than shoot my bow all the dang time.

Comment

I had to move my sight way out in front of the bow and shoot a custom green glowing pin with a 2 power glass in it. I totally hated this setup at first and now am very comfortable with it. I leave a draw string cover on the sight if the weather is not the best and have been able to adapt quite well. I've tried to shoot without a peep sight and didn't like the level of accuracy that I could produce without it. I've found that I shoot just as well with the jumbo peep holes as I do with the regular size units. I agree that you can shoot just as well by letting the target blur a bit.

Comment

Agreed with buckhunter and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Well first I would suggest you to do an eye checkup. Consult this problem with your doctor, maybe this is not a problem of contact lens. However, it’s common that shooting through a peep reduces vision and creates blurriness. Make sure your peep is large enough that is up to 5/16 which is comfortable for shooting. Also the contact lenses you choose are branded like the one available on contactlensheaven.com shop. At last I would say that as many people has suggested you the Laser eye surgery for this problem, I think without consulting with professional you should not take any further step.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad