Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 questions. The first is a cross bow question. During a conversation in a bar, we had a discussion on the power of cross bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 questions. The first is a cross bow question. During a conversation in a bar, we had a discussion on the power of cross bow

2 questions. The first is a cross bow question. During a conversation in a bar, we had a discussion on the power of cross bows. One of the guys, an experienced cross bow hunter claims that anything above 315 fps is not only wasted it is dangerous. When you get bolt/arrow speeds at 350 to 400 fps aerodynamics becomes much more critical. The broad head or mechanical becomes very sensitive to any prior dings or non-symentrics and can easily be thrown off course. Even a rain drop is dangerous to a 400 fps cross bow. Since none of us has a bow greater than 320fps, none of us knows one way or the other. And my second question. Isn't funny what guys will discuss over a beer between hunting season and the playoffs/super bowl.

A golf pro friend of mine said the optimum speed for a club head during the swing was around 100-105 mph. Any faster and the ballistics and energy of the ball and club head contact became erratic. Not sure if this applies to cross bows but it sounds very similar.

I know there is a lot of bend to the bolt the more poundage applied to the noc.

Comment

I wish I had a good answer for you. It sounds like a logical proposition but you don't hear much about it from users of the faster Xbows. At least not in print. I do know from my experiences with archery and muzzleloading that faster is not always better for accuracy.
      Mine is supposed to give 300 fps but I have never shot it over a chronograph. It gets there fast enough to kill deer inside my 30 yd limit.
      As for conversations over beer I am sure that many of the world's problems would have been solved long ago. If only people would remember to write their conclusions down in the later stages of the evening when brain and tongue are well lubricated and functioning at peak potential

Comment

Same as Chuckles. My X bow is suppose to go 300, but I never have checked it. It should have new cables now so it may not even reach 300.

Comment

I agree with jhjimbo

Comment

And yes it is funny

Comment

A Bowtech RPM 360 is shooting around 360IBO, it must come down to the technology with the bow

Comment

or I guess also the arrow for better trajectory

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad