Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ive hunted before, killed a couple deer with shotgun and rifle. This is my first year bowhunting, over the summer I eventually s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ive hunted before, killed a couple deer with shotgun and rifle. This is my first year bowhunting, over the summer I eventually s

Ive hunted before, killed a couple deer with shotgun and rifle. This is my first year bowhunting, over the summer I eventually saved up enough money to get a bow, I got a Hoyt Carbon Element, it my first bow I thought Id get one that would last. I have practiced my form over and over again and bow season starts in a couple of days...I was just wondering if any of you guys had some general tips for bowhunting that I could use in the field?

1. Buy a trail camera with a python cable lock.

2. Hunt from a tree stand at sixteen feet to eighteen.

3. If nature calls pee inside a large Gatorade bottle.

4. Put camouflage around your stand to break up your silhouette.

5. Where rubber boots in the woods and out.

6. Practice shooting from your garage roof at the same height as your stand.

7. Never eat anything in your tree stand that is noisy, like corn chips, peanuts, potato chips or chewing gum. Deer have the best ears in the world.

Good Luck!

Comment

8. Practice shooting your bow with your broadheads.

Comment

I was going to add shoot your bow with your broadheads! too slow I guess.
        9. Play the wind
        10.Use scent eliminated products on everything

Comment

Thanks for tips so far y'all! I have three cams at three different spots, 2 are stand sites and one is a ground blind. I have an acre size plot on each, I've been setting this hunting area up for about 2 years now just for bow hunting, so the deer aren't pressured at all. This is just my first year actually getting out there with a bow and hunting.

Thanks

Comment

If you think you made a good shot/bad shot, if possible, wait longer than you think just in case. Practice hunting shooting angles and shoot 3d if possible. I personally think a rangefinder is as important as broad heads. Most important, wear a safety harness when climbing or in a tree stand. Too many each year crippled in a falls for life, its not worth the risk of not being safe. It is very important.

Comment

patience patience patience. When I first started bowhunting I was not expecting it to be that much more difficult than gun hunting. But, getting everything to work perfectly together to get that deer within 40 yards takes a whole lot of patience. So, don't get down on yourself if you have hunts where you spook deer over and over again. It will take a season or two to understand the major differences in bow and gun hunting. Best of wishes to you!

Comment

Know when to pass up a shot. There's no shame in letting one walk because you weren't 100% confident.

Comment

Definitely practice shooting from your tree stand or something of that height. Often times your bow shoots a little different from up high than it does when just shooting flat.

Comment

Only take the shots you are comfortable with. And when it comes time to take the shot just keep calm, and dont get into a hurry. Use the form you have when you practice wounding a deer is very bad a bad shot will keep you traking for hours. Another thing is after making the shot don't get in a hurry you will only jump the deer and make it harder to track.

Comment

1.)Wait for the most open shot any little thing in the way will result in a muddy arrow instead of a bloody one. If there is a limb n the way wait it will open up or the deer will come back ( as long as you don't spook it.
                      2.)Make your bow as quiet as you can afford.
                      3.) longer ranges aim for the deer to jump string.
                      4.) practice shooting sitting down from your blind. so you know how far you have to sit back in your blind.
                      5.)In treestands imagine a line through the deer, youll find you may need to aim higher on the deer if the angle is steep.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                        by 99explorer
                        CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                        Anybody
                        Today, 01:09 AM
                      • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                        by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                        Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                      • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                        by 99explorer
                        Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                        Today, 12:57 AM
                      • The George Floyd case.
                        by FirstBubba
                        Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                        Minnesota...
                        Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                      • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                        by crm3006
                        My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                        Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X