Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have never bow hunted but I am interested in trying it out. I am a 5'3" and 115lb female. What would be the best bow for a beg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have never bow hunted but I am interested in trying it out. I am a 5'3" and 115lb female. What would be the best bow for a beg

I have never bow hunted but I am interested in trying it out. I am a 5'3" and 115lb female. What would be the best bow for a beginner?

I myself recently got a bow. Look into the PSE 3G stinger. I got mine at bass pro and it was 400 dollars and came with a quiver, quality sights, stabilizer and a whisker biscuit arrow rest. It is very accurate and the draw weight and length are very adjustable. Go to bass pro and you can try out many different bows to see which one you like. Once you pick one out they adjust it for free so you can properly aim and shoot with it.

Comment

The Diamond Razors edge is a nice starter bow but there are many options. Any archery shop can set you up with what you need.

Comment

please go to your local pro shop for a bow and not a box store. 90% of the time i have been to box stores they have someone at the bow counter who has only a little experience and they can cause more bad then good. Now on to the bow. You would probably do best with a bow that is very adjustable as far as weight and length. Being a petite woman you are limited by you draw length and draw weight most likely. Must modern youth bows will go from a 20-30 inch draw give or take and draw weight from 15-50 also give or take.(note the bow will not have that draw weight adjustment at all draw lengths) (a 20 in draw might be from15-20 pounds while a 22in may be from 23-29lbs and so on and so forth) your draw length is probably in the low to mid 20's making it hard to fit you into an adult bow. A youth bow with the above mentioned adjustably are great for women who are just starting in the sport. same good ones are the mission riot, craze, or menace, hoyt ruckus, and pse stinger. now there are some bow designed especially for women but they come with a pretty price tag. (if money is not a worry and you are strong enough to draw one then buy one right away.) with bows that are designed for women and are high end bows you gain so much. you have better draw cycles, arrow speeds and arrow tuning. Now there are the hoyt vixen, mathews jewel, and bow tech heartbreaker for this kind of bow. the only down side is they come with limited draw weight adjustment so if you can't pull more the 28 pounds or so it will limit you to a 40 lbs max draw weight bow (you don't need to pull more then 30 or 40 lbs to legally hunt deer in most states) but the more weight you can pull the faster your arrow will go. that another topic. In the end go to your local pro shop and get setup for your draw length and what weight you can pull and try every bow you can to find the one you like. (sorry if this is alittle long winded. best of luck mike

Comment

Don't buy a package deal. Meaning don't buy one that comes with sights, quiver, whisker biscuit ect ect. The stuff that comes with the bow is certainly not quality. It's total junk you will replace in a year. It may look like your getting a good deal but your actually paying more than what the accessories are worth. Buy the bow plain and let the archery shop help you in picking out your accessories. Tell them you are on a budget and you probably won't spend that much more than what the package deal costs. As far as a bow, look at the pse chaos.

Comment

look at something like a mission riot or craze huge amount of draw length and draw weight adjust. it's a kind of bow that can grow with you. my girlfriend is about the same size and thats what i got her. your probably a short draw length like her. listin to mike0714 to go to a pro shop not cabalas or bass pro your get alot more out of it.

Comment

look at something like a mission riot or craze huge amount of draw length and draw weight adjust. it's a kind of bow that can grow with you. my girlfriend is about the same size and thats what i got her. your probably a short draw length like her. listin to mike0714 to go to a pro shop not cabalas or bass pro your get alot more out of it.

Comment

The guys above are correct, go to an archery pro shop. Hold each bow in your hands and see which one you like or can afford. The archery shops are experts and can help any newcomers to the sport of bow hunting.

Please don't go hunting until you’re able to hit your target constantly by practicing and practicing.
                Good Luck!

Comment

I was a beginner about a year ago and purchased a Diamond Razor Edge bow, made by Bowtech. It is a package but in order to buy a bow as good or better without a package will cost you more. The package will allow you to use the bow until you have enough money to purchase new sights, quiver ( I use a hip quiver because it can effect the torque on you bow having the quiver on the bow Look at the Tarantula hip quiver that hols I think 10 arrows), Stabilizer, and arrow wrest. Don't waist your money on vibration dampeners the don't do enough for the money, and if you buy a Stabilizer look on Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops for a Bee Stinger and get atleast a 10 inch otherwise

Comment

I was a beginner about a year ago and purchased a Diamond Razor Edge bow, made by Bowtech. It is a package but in order to buy a bow as good or better without a package will cost you more. The package will allow you to use the bow until you have enough money to purchase new sights, quiver ( I use a hip quiver because it can effect the torque on you bow having the quiver on the bow Look at the Tarantula hip quiver that hols I think 10 arrows), Stabilizer, and arrow wrest. Don't waist your money on vibration dampeners the don't do enough for the money, and if you buy a Stabilizer look on Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops for a Bee Stinger and get atleast a 10 inch otherwise

Comment

it doesn't do much. I use True Glow sights, and a QAD drop away arrow wrest. Look to spend close to one thousand on equipment.
                      Bow $330.00 Relaese $45.00 Arrows (Bass Pro shops RedHead® BlackOut® X5 Envy Carbon Arrows - 2'' Blazer® Vanes)( on sale now)$35.00, Sights at least $60.00 Wrest at LEAST $45 more like $60.00 target $50.00 Broad heads $40.00, Plus other odds and ends that you will want. Good Luck and safe hunting,
                      Seth

Comment

Go to local outdoor/sporting goods store, dosen't have to be a mom and pop. It can be a Bass Pro, Cabelas, Green Top etc. Most of those places have ranges that you can test out bows. It is just like a test drive in a car. If you like the way it feels and fires then you are good to go.

Comment

As far as with Brands and cost you can do your research and find what you like. I myself have Less then $500 invested in my whole archery system. I buy most of my arrows and heads for target shooting at wal-mart. My actual hunting heads and arrows I have bought at many places I get the best quality i can afford. It dosent have to be the latest and greatest. It just has to work for you and feel right for you. It may take you a year or more to find the exact set up you like. Take care

Comment

Get a crossbow that's lite and fits you well -- stock not too long. Sight it in like a rifle and enjoy.

Comment

Get a crossbow that's lite and fits you well -- stock not too long. Sight it in like a rifle and enjoy.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad