Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any bow hunters out there with heart a condition and what do you do to prepare for the hunting season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any bow hunters out there with heart a condition and what do you do to prepare for the hunting season.

Are there any bow hunters out there with heart a condition and what do you do to prepare for the hunting season.

A guy I hunt with has a pacemaker and he has gone to a cross bow with a cocking device. I drive him to within 100yds of his stand in my jeep and pick up the deer so he really does not exert that much.

Comment

We have this old boy with a Heart Condition on our lease, He has a Side by Side John Deer tilt bed and Wench, He Hunts with his 20Yr old Nephew all the time with Cross Bow and Black Power only, they have built a ramp/platform 4'High that they drive on and hunt from the J-Deer.

Comment

Yep! Bring 'em in close. I have high blood pressure controlled with diet, exercise and meds.
        With a hip implant on one side and a bad foot on the other, I don't walk far. I use a Honda Foreman for recoveries and access remote areas.
        Box blinds help keep me hunting in bad weather. Corn feeders keep deer (and other critters!) coming by for entertainment and harvest selection.
        A stationary bike is a really good cardio workout! Boring, but good! I use the recumbent style 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.

Comment

You get a white collar desk worker sitting on his butt for eleven months then he starts to climb a mountain during hunting season that could be his death warrant.

I wouldn't be dragging or carting out bagged game with a heart condition. Hunting has caused many heart attacks across this country.

I wouldn't shovel snow with a heart condition, either. Shoveling snow is another killer across this country.

Comment

I have a Dilated Aortic Root and a Dilated Ascending Aorta. I found out about it in March of this year. I finally had my 1st doctors visit since finding out about it 2 weeks ago. I can no longer lift heavy objects that would cause me to strain which makes your blood pressure sky rocket and he has me on blood pressure medication. I'm 31 with normal blood pressure and perfectly healthy other than the above mentioned and now I have to figure these things out. I plan to continue bow hunting but getting the deer out will be another story. I'm figuring I will be making several trips quartering the deer in the field to pack out if I can't get a vehicle there to get it out. The hole thing really has kind of put a damper in my life but I will figure things out as they come along.

I kind of fit Gary's comment minus the "White Collar"! However I do stay pretty active outside of work. I make sure I do a lot of cardio now which will help. I have also started using a kettle bell doing the old time Russian Strongmen exercises instead of normal weight lifting. I wish I would of found out about the kettle bell work outs before because you can work your entire body with great cardio in just 20 minutes a day. I will go until I feel the heart beat in my eyes and call it quits for the day. I would suggest you do some research on using a kettle bell to get you prepared for hunting season. You can't beat the workout, you get cardio and the benefits of lifting heavy weights minus the weight. A 20 minute workout according to many research studies burns 350-400+ calories just during the work out, while you burn half of that running 5 miles and lifting for 1/2hour with minimal calorie burn after the workout is done. I have only done this for about a month and have noticed a huge difference in stamina and body shape and I never got the same results as I did when just lifting.

Comment

I have a Dilated Aortic Root and a Dilated Ascending Aorta. I found out about it in March of this year. I finally had my 1st doctors visit since finding out about it 2 weeks ago. I can no longer lift heavy objects that would cause me to strain which makes your blood pressure sky rocket and he has me on blood pressure medication. I'm 31 with normal blood pressure and perfectly healthy other than the above mentioned and now I have to figure these things out. I plan to continue bow hunting but getting the deer out will be another story. I'm figuring I will be making several trips quartering the deer in the field to pack out if I can't get a vehicle there to get it out. The hole thing really has kind of put a damper in my life but I will figure things out as they come along.

I kind of fit Gary's comment minus the "White Collar"! However I do stay pretty active outside of work. I make sure I do a lot of cardio now which will help. I have also started using a kettle bell doing the old time Russian Strongmen exercises instead of normal weight lifting. I wish I would of found out about the kettle bell work outs before because you can work your entire body with great cardio in just 20 minutes a day. I will go until I feel the heart beat in my eyes and call it quits for the day. I would suggest you do some research on using a kettle bell to get you prepared for hunting season. You can't beat the workout, you get cardio and the benefits of lifting heavy weights minus the weight. A 20 minute workout according to many research studies burns 350-400+ calories just during the work out, while you burn half of that running 5 miles and lifting for 1/2hour with minimal calorie burn after the workout is done. I have only done this for about a month and have noticed a huge difference in stamina and body shape and I never got the same results as I did when just lifting.

Comment

Good advice from all... I'd worry about:
                1. Minimizing exertion... don't walk or climb too far, don't drag game out yourself.
                2. Use a cross bow to reduce exertion.

My biggest concern with archery hunting is the adrenalin rush that you get when a monster buck is poking around 10 yards from you for five minutes before you get a clear shot. I've just about had my heart explode doing that a couple of times when I was much younger. I think that now, at my age, I will just close my eyes and think of my favorite baseball game until he walks away and leaves me alone. Its a tough choice... lif

Comment

I have only been hunting for about 5 yrs, altough I have been tracking game since the late 1950's.I have 3 heart conditions & diabetes & arthritis. I hunt only wmas. I am fortunate to have 1 wma with a handicap area, & 1 with handicap but quota hunt only within 70 miles. I carry a come-a-long & 2 75" ropes to help move any harvest I get, & also use a wire mesh garden wagon to carry gear ( & any harvest)when I hunt any other wma, I try to set up as close to the 150" limit as I can & hunt afternoon & late to avoid crowds. (other hunters are harvesting in this time frame however I have found out what T was doing wrong & have expanded my hunting opportunities by buying a crossbow.I have not harvested a deer yet. but I now have a blind with scent tech & I will no longer wear blue(experts say the deer see that color before you can see them) I can shoot from the truck normal restrictions on shooting near roads do not apply in handicap areas. I hope thus gives some ideas. JHB

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad