Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I went to a turkey calling contest and there was an archery ranch, I shot some bows and this has got me interested in archery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went to a turkey calling contest and there was an archery ranch, I shot some bows and this has got me interested in archery.

I went to a turkey calling contest and there was an archery ranch, I shot some bows and this has got me interested in archery. I don’t hunt dear( maybe in the future?) , but my question is, has anybody here hunted small game such as squirrels with a bow? How accurate is the bow and what arrow heads do you use?

It depends on the bow and the arrow setup i am using. if i am using my long bow or recurve then i use bludgeons or wire bludgeon heads because they wont break skin but my compound will break skin even with bludgeons so I use field tips and try to have a backstop such as the ground or a tree to anchor the game as it passes through.

Comment

I have hunted small game with my bow, and it gets real expensive quick! You will lose and break arrows like crazy, and when you have about $10 invested into each arrow, it gets to be about as much fun as throwing a wad of cash out the window because that's basically what you'll end up doing.

That being said, I always keep an arrow or two in my deer hunting quiver set up specifically for small game. If things are slow and a rabbit or squirrel gives me an opportune shot, I just might take it.

In the past, I have used 2 types of heads. The first is an adder point, which is basically a small game broad head set behind a field point, and the second is a washer set behind a field point. Both work great.

Comment

Hi...

I've taken pheasants and rabbits with a bow and arrow (no squirrels, though). I used either field points or target points (only things I had then). They would go completely through the animal, but would do little harm to the meat.

Now I use wide, blunt-headed arrows. Another option is the multi-tined arrowhead...used mainly for game birds.

Flu-flu fletched arrows with blunt heads seem like a good combination for squirrels.

Comment

+1 to what bioguy said. I always keep a few arrows I don't mind parting with in my bag or pack. I usually use the judo points, but the larger rubber blunt tips are probably better suited for general smaller game. Less damage to what little meat there is.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad