Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to learn how to hunt and track animals how do i start ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to learn how to hunt and track animals how do i start ?

I want to learn how to hunt and track animals how do i start ?

Finding someone who can teach you is the best and easiest way but you can learn by doing. When you first start haunting you will make a ton of mistakes but you learn from them.

Comment

I would recommend studying resources such as "How to Track and Find Game" by Clyde Ormond, Harper & Row's "Complete Field Guide to North American Wildlife" (2 volume), the Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mammals, and other books that document the habits and tracks of wildlife. There are a great many others, but study the tracks and match these to what you find in the field. Make it an ongoing exercise when you're in the field. If you have an friend who's an experienced tracker, seek guidance in these efforts.

Comment

I have found most books are like reading instructions on how to hook up your entertainment system to a cable companies black box. They have good ideas but are either to generic or so specific they wont work. A good friend or family member to show you. Also dont think that the only time to get out is during hunting season. Spring time and a camera also during the summer are great times to get out and watch how animals move and when they move and where they move to. To make it easy start with areas you know where they are food or water start watching those areas and then see where they go. I have found with elk its one of three things to watch for food water and their paths to the bedding areas just sit in one of the three and wait good luck.

Comment

When you go to the field, bring a few tools with you...a camera and/or a sketchbook. Make a record of the tracks you find and where you found them. Match those to the tracks that are documented in your reference materials. Over time, this will reinforce your knowledge and memory. Not everyone can tell the difference between a coyote and the neighbor's dog. Be patient and consistent in your efforts. Best of luck afield.

Comment

Finding someone who can teach you would be the best way. They are hard to find. I would love to learn how too. Reading and spending a lot of time out in the woods is a great way to teach your self. It takes dedication and a keen eye to find the outlier in the familiar. Good luck!

Comment

Join a shooting gun club in your area. Most gun owners who target shoot are also hunters. Trust me, you will meet friends in the club who know how to hunt and track.

Sometimes books take up to much of your time. Sign up with Field and Stream magazine and read their short stories on hunting and tracking. Also, read things posted on this website you will learn good educated things.

Comment

Chalk up another vote for a mentor. Hunters are usually more than willing to show a new person the ropes...but first and foremost, take a firearms and hunter safety course.

Comment

great advice!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                    by 99explorer
                    Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                    Today, 03:02 PM
                  • Rest Easy
                    by jhjimbo
                    Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                    Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                  • Reply to Rest Easy
                    by jhjimbo
                    They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                    Today, 02:39 PM
                  • Reply to Rest Easy
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                    Today, 01:18 PM
                  • Reply to Rest Easy
                    by crm3006
                    "I was chastised by 99explorer"

#1 Bubba, I was bitten by a mosquito a couple of days ago that bothered me a whole lot more than...
                    Today, 01:03 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X