Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the reason for the assortment of the weights of broadheads? Is there a certain weight that is the best for deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the reason for the assortment of the weights of broadheads? Is there a certain weight that is the best for deer?

What is the reason for the assortment of the weights of broadheads? Is there a certain weight that is the best for deer?

There are 2 reasons for different broadhead weights:

1) Heavier broadheads add weight to the arrow creating more kinetic energy.

2) Heavier broadheads create a greater archers paradox or shaft bend which helps tune the arrow.

Heavier heads are desired for tough, heavy boned animals such as hogs or bear. In most cases, 100 grn heads work fine for deer.

Comment

good answer. Its all about penetration

Comment

There is an optimum broadhead weight depending shaft length, spine, weight, insert weight,etc and the amount you draw.

Comment

Speed is a bigger factor in my opinion. For deer, more speed is better. Deer are remarkably quick and can dodge an arrow if they are looking your way when you shoot. I've had a monster buck dodge a 100g broadhead coming from a 65 lb draw at 25 yards. Heavy broadheads (125g+)are OK for BIG bruisers like bears and 250 lb+ hogs but a 100g will penetrate deer just fine. It provides flatter shooting (less room for holdover error) too. I don't like going lighter than 100g because I feel I am risking penetration issues.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad