Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have shot a compound since I was about 7 yrs old but I have been thinking about getting a recurve. Have no idea where to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have shot a compound since I was about 7 yrs old but I have been thinking about getting a recurve. Have no idea where to start

I have shot a compound since I was about 7 yrs old but I have been thinking about getting a recurve. Have no idea where to start. What are some good makers and what do I look for to ensure a good quality bow?

Try Bear achery they make some pretty good recurves.

Comment

Two suggestions. Purchase a recurve 10-20 lbs lighter than you are use to shooting with your compound. It is difficult to learn to shoot a recurve while struggling with the weight. Second, whatever bow you get, it must be properly tuned to you and the arrow. Regardless of make and model, Having good form, skill and a well tuned bow will help you more than anything else.

Comment

I too say try Bear archery. My advice to you would be to borrow one from a friend for a while or don't go all out on your first purchase. Make sur eit is for you before you start shelling out major money. It's not for everybody and it's quite different from shooting a compound.

Comment

I'd suggest taking a look at some older Bear or Ben Pearson bows on ebay. These are great bows but as Buckhunter said... there is no letoff in these and it takes a LOT of muscle to hold a 50-60 lb at full draw for 10 seconds. I'd highly recommend weight lifting for a couple of months in preparation for shooting them... seriously. When I shot one, I did this for several years and it really helped no only accuracy but in my comfort and confidence in hunting with a 60 lb. The alternative for me was using a 45 pound draw weight so I could handle it. I preferred the speed of the 60# so much I thought it was worth the extra work... now that I am older, I'm not so sure.

Comment

I agree with them,^ Bear Archery makes affordable, quality bows that last a long time.

Comment

My first bow was a long bow and then i got a recurve. Bear was a early leader in the recurve bows. Check your state as some have minimum draw weights for deer hunting. Next, practice, practice and practice some more. Where i worked we could set up a target and shoot from a one story roof top during our lunch hour. The muscles have to build up to handle the draw weight. I have seen bear bows at flea markets in nice shape for $50., new Bear grizzly bows are close to $350.
              Good luck and good hunting.
              P.S. try instinctive shooting and then if not accurate enough a simple two pin sight will help.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad