Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few years ago I was bow hunting in my tree stand. A large cottontail rabbit ran by the front of my stand. A minute later a dir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nchunt101
    replied
    Bio - Are you from NC,,,, I allways thought SSS was a local phrase? I whole heartedly agree with it though

Leave a comment:

• Skeeb
    replied
    I think I'll keep my opinion to myself this time, I learned my lesson from the last one a few years back lol

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    SSS comes to mind.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Ontario, I did not see anything wrong with your comment. I can not understand why someone on this site would give you a minus one. This is your opinion and your entitled to it. I am giving you a plus one just to remove the minus.
    Whoever has an axe to grind, will you please grow up or take it elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I used to live on a ranch that seemed to be a dumping ground for unwanted dogs. Many of them were disposed of by means of a .30-30, .357 Magnum or 12 gauge. I have also kept and returned to their owners a lot of coon hounds, wolf hounds and a bird dog or three. It is fairly easy to tell the difference in a feral dog and some-one's lost hunting dog.
    As to the feral cat, he would have been dead just as soon as I could have got a sight picture. Feral cats do more damage to song birds, game birds, and small mammals than any other predator. Also, feral cats multiply very fast.
    Honk-Honk, you are very ill informed about the cat and the rabbit. As usual.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    If the cat tangles with that rabbit the cat is going to end up on the sharp end of that stick. Check out the claws on the hind legs of those bunnies. And they know how to use them. If a young fox doesn't do it quite right he's going to get disemboweled. I don't think a stupid feral cat stands much of a chance.

Leave a comment:

• Woodsman001
    replied
    If you don't mind extra gear ... .22 (or air-rifle with suppressor built-in like they make 'em nowadays) with laser-sight for the cat. Red paint-balls for the dogs. Stings enough to get the dogs moving elsewhere, and sends back a nice signal on the dogs' coats to warn the owner of what could have really happened if they keep letting them run. It's the same gear I use at home for both species.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    Actually, I've only seen one feral cat in all the years I've been hunting, but a number of dogs have died for their actions while not wearing collars. Obviously, I'd never shoot what appeared to be somebody's prize Irish Setter, but if they don't think enough of their dogs to keep them up and/or put collars on them, I'll consider them feral.
    Just to keep the record straight, I've returned dozens of lost dogs to their owners, but they were obviously hunting dogs or pets---if a dog spots me in the woods and comes trotting up wagging its tail and looking happy to see me, I'll do what I can to get it home.
    I've been stalked by bobcats and coyotes while turkey hunting---killed one of the 'yotes, but the bobcat was too quick for me.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Driving to camp i saw a pack of dogs, all different kinds, next to the road. When i got to camp a game warden came in and asked if we had seen a pack of dogs. We said yes. He said keep the youngsters close to camp and shoot them if you see them again. I had a handgun with me and could have gotten a couple had i known the warden wanted them shot.
    Another time a friend was shooting groundhogs with a bow and he was circled by a pack of wild dogs. He arrowed one and that gave him enough time to make it back to his truck as the others started chasing him.

Leave a comment:

• DEER30
    replied
    Bear hunters run their dogs loose across southwest Virginia and West Virginia during the season. While I was in my deer stand I have add a couple bears running by, near exhaustion, and a few minutes later the pack of hounds in pursuit.

If hunting with dogs makes you happy, by all means, but I would becareful about where you run them. I was on public land so although my deer hunts were spoiled, there's no problem. But I have heard around the watering holes, of private land owners whose land is adjacent to national forest complaining about bear dogs crossing their land and that they would take matter into their own hands if it happened again.

So before you shoot a dog in the woods, you better know for sure it is ferral and not someone's $1000 hunting dog, or escaped treasured pet.

Ferral cats are a no-brainer so long as there is no collar.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I would hesitate to shoot a dog with a collar, but feral cats would be safe only if a nice buck had my attention.

Leave a comment:

• thehunter98.6
    replied
    I would shoot the Feral cat but be hesitant about shooting the wild dogs.Many times while squirrel hunting hawks would always soar over the tree tops screeching and one time a hawk almost got a squirrel but the squirrel escaped. Anyway those hawks ruined our chances of getting a squirrel for that hunting trip.

Leave a comment:

• fisherking1999
    replied
    Shoot to kill! I have wild dogs on the property I lease. Rule is, shoot them on sight!

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Not every dog in the woods is a lost hunting dog or somebody's pet. Some dogs are dumped on the road side by their owners who no longer want them. These same abandon dogs will either starve to death or they will run in dog packs killing deer or any other wildlife to eat. Wild dogs and feral cats don't belong in the woods, period.
    I agree with Greg.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    No but I did eat a Turducken once. I guess the Turkey stopped short!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad