Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few years ago I was bow hunting in my tree stand. A large cottontail rabbit ran by the front of my stand. A minute later a dir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, I've only seen one feral cat in all the years I've been hunting, but a number of dogs have died for their actions while not wearing collars. Obviously, I'd never shoot what appeared to be somebody's prize Irish Setter, but if they don't think enough of their dogs to keep them up and/or put collars on them, I'll consider them feral.
    Just to keep the record straight, I've returned dozens of lost dogs to their owners, but they were obviously hunting dogs or pets---if a dog spots me in the woods and comes trotting up wagging its tail and looking happy to see me, I'll do what I can to get it home.
    I've been stalked by bobcats and coyotes while turkey hunting---killed one of the 'yotes, but the bobcat was too quick for me.

Comment

If you don't mind extra gear ... .22 (or air-rifle with suppressor built-in like they make 'em nowadays) with laser-sight for the cat. Red paint-balls for the dogs. Stings enough to get the dogs moving elsewhere, and sends back a nice signal on the dogs' coats to warn the owner of what could have really happened if they keep letting them run. It's the same gear I use at home for both species.

Comment

If the cat tangles with that rabbit the cat is going to end up on the sharp end of that stick. Check out the claws on the hind legs of those bunnies. And they know how to use them. If a young fox doesn't do it quite right he's going to get disemboweled. I don't think a stupid feral cat stands much of a chance.

Comment

I used to live on a ranch that seemed to be a dumping ground for unwanted dogs. Many of them were disposed of by means of a .30-30, .357 Magnum or 12 gauge. I have also kept and returned to their owners a lot of coon hounds, wolf hounds and a bird dog or three. It is fairly easy to tell the difference in a feral dog and some-one's lost hunting dog.
          As to the feral cat, he would have been dead just as soon as I could have got a sight picture. Feral cats do more damage to song birds, game birds, and small mammals than any other predator. Also, feral cats multiply very fast.
          Honk-Honk, you are very ill informed about the cat and the rabbit. As usual.

Comment

Ontario, I did not see anything wrong with your comment. I can not understand why someone on this site would give you a minus one. This is your opinion and your entitled to it. I am giving you a plus one just to remove the minus.
            Whoever has an axe to grind, will you please grow up or take it elsewhere.

Comment

SSS comes to mind.

Comment

I think I'll keep my opinion to myself this time, I learned my lesson from the last one a few years back lol

Comment

Bio - Are you from NC,,,, I allways thought SSS was a local phrase? I whole heartedly agree with it though

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad