Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few years ago I was bow hunting in my tree stand. A large cottontail rabbit ran by the front of my stand. A minute later a dir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few years ago I was bow hunting in my tree stand. A large cottontail rabbit ran by the front of my stand. A minute later a dir

A few years ago I was bow hunting in my tree stand. A large cottontail rabbit ran by the front of my stand. A minute later a dirty looking feral cat walked by my tree stand heading in the same direction as the rabbit. Another time, I heard dogs barking in the distance. The barking dogs got louder and louder then a whitetail doe ran by me with the dogs in pursuit. Have you ever witness game being hunted by other creatures and what would you do if you saw a feral cat or a wild dog in the woods chasing game while you were hunting?

If they are for sure feral I would remove them from this earth. Feral cats are a huge problem where I live.

Comment

You don't really want to know, you wouldn't like the answer.

Comment

The cat would be a goner. I would have a hard time letting an arrow fly on a dog. I have had them come into my turkey dekes a few times.

Comment

Don't really have a lot of them round here, how do you tell the difference between them and barn cats?

Comment

I will plead the 5th.

Comment

Good night to puss-n-boots. The dogs? That's another deal altogether. During NY's first youth deer hunt, my son and I saw two dogs (reddish pit-bull like, collared and with bandanas)cross the dirt road we were taking to our spot. Later, we saw one doe flying by us with one dog about 30 yards behind, the other running in the distance on the other side of a hedgerow.Later, I told the farmer and he(an area where all other farms and property are close family to him) didn't know whose dogs they belonged to.I wasn't armed and I wouldn't have shot then anyway, with more knowledge and under other circumstances, I just may. They didn't catch the doe that time, but I'll bet they have tasted venison before.I hate having to be put in that position with some dummy's pets running wild, shame to those dog owners.

Comment

Just this past season in my T-stand, I had a Small Buck flowing a Doe with a Coyote flowing Them! I put a TAP on the Yote made Him Grave yard dead! Two Hours later I put the buck in my truck. The only Cats we have are Bob or Panthers on my lease.

Comment

No but I did eat a Turducken once. I guess the Turkey stopped short!

Comment

Not every dog in the woods is a lost hunting dog or somebody's pet. Some dogs are dumped on the road side by their owners who no longer want them. These same abandon dogs will either starve to death or they will run in dog packs killing deer or any other wildlife to eat. Wild dogs and feral cats don't belong in the woods, period.
                    I agree with Greg.

Comment

Shoot to kill! I have wild dogs on the property I lease. Rule is, shoot them on sight!

Comment

I would shoot the Feral cat but be hesitant about shooting the wild dogs.Many times while squirrel hunting hawks would always soar over the tree tops screeching and one time a hawk almost got a squirrel but the squirrel escaped. Anyway those hawks ruined our chances of getting a squirrel for that hunting trip.

Comment

I would hesitate to shoot a dog with a collar, but feral cats would be safe only if a nice buck had my attention.

Comment

Bear hunters run their dogs loose across southwest Virginia and West Virginia during the season. While I was in my deer stand I have add a couple bears running by, near exhaustion, and a few minutes later the pack of hounds in pursuit.

If hunting with dogs makes you happy, by all means, but I would becareful about where you run them. I was on public land so although my deer hunts were spoiled, there's no problem. But I have heard around the watering holes, of private land owners whose land is adjacent to national forest complaining about bear dogs crossing their land and that they would take matter into their own hands if it happened again.

So before you shoot a dog in the woods, you better know for sure it is ferral and not someone's $1000 hunting dog, or escaped treasured pet.

Ferral cats are a no-brainer so long as there is no collar.

Comment

Driving to camp i saw a pack of dogs, all different kinds, next to the road. When i got to camp a game warden came in and asked if we had seen a pack of dogs. We said yes. He said keep the youngsters close to camp and shoot them if you see them again. I had a handgun with me and could have gotten a couple had i known the warden wanted them shot.
                              Another time a friend was shooting groundhogs with a bow and he was circled by a pack of wild dogs. He arrowed one and that gave him enough time to make it back to his truck as the others started chasing him.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad