Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What time do I hunt turkey and how do I no if there are turkey around

What time do I hunt turkey and how do I no if there are turkey around

Scout the area the evening before you are going to hunt and listen for a turkey going to roost. Set up about 100yds from that area just at daylight. Listen for them coming down from the tree. Start some calling. Some states you can only hunt until noon so check your regulations.
    Good luck.

Comment

Scout, scout, scout! Scouting is key to finding turkeys. Glass fields, listen early morning, or late evening. Like Jimbo said, go listen for turkeys the night before a hunt, and hunt them the next morning. If that doesn't work runnin n gunnin is the next best thing. Walk a few hundred yards, call, and make the occasional set up. Most turkeys will get "henned up" in the morning if you don't get him first thing, but later in the morning they will start gobblin again! Stay safe and good hunting!

Comment

Get Tom Kelly's book "A Fork In the Road" which is especially for beginning turkey hunters. Comes with a DVD for those uncomfortable with the printed page.

Comment

scout, there are 3 ways to know if there are any animal you are looking for in the area. you either a) see them, b) hear gobbling, or c)find sign of them in the area.

what time do you hunt them? whenever you are able. very very rarely do i ever kill one first thing in the morning right off the roost. kill most of mine between 930-11 in the morning.

Comment

Checking the woods for turkey sign is one way, and listen for them a half an hour before dark when they fly up into the trees to roost. They do make a hell of a racket.

Another way would be to set up trail cameras and put some feed down in front of your cameras before the season. Turkeys will find the feed if there in it the area. The cameras will show photos of nice Toms that are in the area. Make sure you call or check the Fish and Game to make sure its ok to put feed down before the season. Good Luck.

Comment

I like to hunt turkeys in the morning the best and a way to find them is the way everyone else is saying scout,scout and scout some more.

Comment

Here in Ohio you have to go out in the morning. You have to stop hunting by noon. As far as finding them if you go out at dusk you can here them fly up into the trees, or blow a hoot owl call and they will gooble. I have also got them to do a response gooble to simply smacking 2 pieces of 2x4 together. Then set up by the tree, not right under it before day light and start working them when they leave the roost.

Comment

Also, when scouting common turket sign is J shaped droppings and areas when it looks like the leaves have been scraped up.

Comment

in the spring, seasons will be opening in just a few short weeks in the south and by April farther north. You want to look for scratchin' (where the turkeys kick the leaves away in search of food), and check out areas at dawn for gobbling toms about 2 weeks prior to the season opener.
                    Here in GA, the season opens the March 23rd and I heard a bird this past Sunday morning already. My buddy in VA called one in to the side of the road on his way to work last week.

The best time to hunt is from dawn until about 9am. Then the Toms end up with their hens and can be tough to get them away. But after about 10-10:30, the hens go to nest and the Toms become very callable again.

The more time you put in to your scouting and prep. the better off you will be. But don't push em out and don't actually call to them yet or you will educate them to the sound of your calls and make it harder to trick them when the season comes in.

In the fall, you want to find a gang of birds and bust them up. litterally run into the middle of the flock if you have to. Wait about 15 min or so and start to give a few calls. They will try to get back together and come back to you.

Good luck!

Comment

Start early, Get a barred owl call. You work that before daylight and you can get them to shock gobble from the roost. Look for droppings, feathers on the ground and places that are all scratched up. Get in an area with sign before daylight and just listen. They start talking pretty early.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad