Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm having trouble getting my broad heads to group with my field points. I have tried everything I have read and heard but I sti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm having trouble getting my broad heads to group with my field points. I have tried everything I have read and heard but I sti

I'm having trouble getting my broad heads to group with my field points. I have tried everything I have read and heard but I still have issues. Its a very fast double cam Strother Infinity and although it shoots great its tough to tune. I currently am shooting 100 grain Muzzies. My arrows are correct according to the chart from Strother. The broad heads group well just always about 3" lower than the field points at 40 yards. Any suggestions?

I dont know but I have always grouped well with muzzys.

Comment

a couple of years ago when I upgraded my bow and set up I researched the broadhead question to death. There seem to be two camps when it came to Muzzy. Camp A works and tunes great with my bow. Camp B cant get the to tune and fly worth a darn. Not wanting to chance my budget I opted to go with slick tricks. They tune and fly just as my field points dead on out to 60 yards. Thats as far as I shoot broadheads. Good luck though

Comment

I'm far from an archery expert but I think you answered your own question.
        As long as your broadheads group consistently I wouldn't worry too much.

Comment

Kind of a answer with a question thing, but are your field points the same weight as your broad heads? If they are lighter, that might explain it.

Comment

I'm thinking along the same lines as MidnightBanjo. I saw a review of broadheads in one of the mags and they weren't all exactly the published weight. If your broadheads are a few over and your field points a few under it could explain it.

Comment

Your broadheads may not group the same as your field points. As long as your broadheads group well, adjust your sight pins and you're ok to hunt with them.

Comment

Sometimes you just have sight your bow in for broadheads or field points but not both. Or you can try some Rage expandables because those group right with my field points.

Comment

Raise your rest.

Comment

Buck Hunter:I tried lowering my nock which I think would be the same as raising my rest (am I wrong) but the amount I had to lower it to start gaining was too much. My rest is a biscuit that only moves horizontally. I did what some of you said and have just sighted in for broad heads but I like to shoot a lot and its a pain shooting broad heads all the time or messing with my sight a lot.
                    I am really a recurve guy at heart and although I love this bow I really don't want to go to expandables because it doesn't feel right. I grew up shooting instinctive and I feel like enough of a cheater with this compound and pins.
                    I'll weigh my broad heads and field points, (should have thought of that).

Comment

Dont move your nock or rest!!!!!!!! The best way to tune your bow is through paper. If your bow was paper tuned and you change the nock or rest you almost guarantee that you will screw up the tuning. If your arrows group adjust your sights not bow! sights are just a reference point. When i shoot tournaments in practice i don't worry about hitting the x, I worry about grouping- it is the same with hunting. If you bow groups well don't change it ever. Good groups mean your bow is working properly. The reason broad heads group differently is because you are for lack of a better reference putting wings on the front of your arrow. The blades change how the arrow reacts as it flies through the air because of drag coefficient and air pressure.

Comment

Thanks mike.

Comment

I agree with Mike... don't mess with the nocking point or the rest height. If you are shooting 100g Muzzies, you should practice with 100g field tips. 25g difference will be quite noticeable. I shoot muzzies too and have never had a differnce out to 50 yards but if you do, go to lighter or heavier field tips to match the impact point. Are you sure you are shooting the same arrows with both? I would never mess with the sights either. Just shoot your field tips high or low or whatever it takes to get them to group. Set your sights for hunting with Muzzies.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad