Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a friend who is getting into archery. He purchased Rage broad heads. Many of our friends are saying that they don't open.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a friend who is getting into archery. He purchased Rage broad heads. Many of our friends are saying that they don't open.

I have a friend who is getting into archery. He purchased Rage broad heads. Many of our friends are saying that they don't open. Do any of you have experience with them? Should he return them, if so, what should he get.

ok those rage broadheads are good if you hunt for a living like they do on tv. they are one shot deals, they will break 99% of the time you shoot them. and they are wayyyy too expensive to be 1 shot deals. trust me when i say this, stay away from expandables! when they work, they get the job done...BUT keep in mind the more moving parts you have, the more that can go wrong. from my experience you cant go wrong with NAP thunderheads! always go with the fixed broadheads.
    glad i could help, andrew

Comment

Andrew is right I would stay with the fixed blade broadhead I use Montec CS 100gr.

Comment

Look at the Message Boards under The Compound this has been covered alot and you'll see alot more answers.

Comment

Broadheads don't kill but help. The most important part of bow hunting is shot placement. The old man had stories of him and his brother killing deer with field tips way back when(1930's to late 40's) and it was all because they waited for good shots. If you run a cars dip stick through both lungs or the heart no animal can go very far. I'm NOT saying not to use broadheads but to worry more about practicing compared to what is on the end of the arrow. With that said I have a love hate relationship with rage's. They cut big wholes and fly well but my problem was not with them failing to open but opening when I removed them from my quiver. If even one blade opens up and you shot it. The arrow can miss your point os aim by a foot or even more. I agree with andrew and storm though. Fixed blades are usually more durable but are harder to get to fly well. It is a personal chose weight the options and find what you like.

Comment

I had really bad luck with rage brodheads this year. Lost 2 bucks I thought I hit really well. I didnt get a full pass through on one (shoulder blade) so I cant speak for the expansion on that one. The second buck I hit perfect for the shot I had (quartering away). Got a full pass through. The deer carried the arrow with him for 10 yards or so. I figure the blades could have been flopping all around when he was running with the arrow the blades deployed but didnt look like they had very good expansion. Any how I didnt find that deer either. That being said normally the put a gashing wound in a deer I did shoot 2 does with my bow this year that looked like they were hit with a 12 ga. slug.

Comment

My expeareance is they always brake and the 3 blades jam so only 1 blade opens I am not a rage hater but I think I might shoot fixed blades now. I do not know about the 2 blade rage

Comment

More moving parts = more possible complications. If reliability is what is desired, go with a fixed blade and avoid all mechanicals.

Comment

I gotta tell ya, Rages have worked well for me. I haven't had breakage or non-deploy issues. I'm two for two on bucks this year(since switching) with the same broadhead. Wound channels were very good and they fly like field points. Yes they are expensive but all broadheads are. It's not an area to cut costs. I use the 2-blades.

Comment

I used Rage 3-blade for one year then went back to muzzy's. I kept having blades fall out of place on the Rage.

Comment

I have shot one deer, and with the same broad head missed a second deer (user error) with the broad head going plowing into the ground behind the deer. I broke a shoulder blade on the first deer. I have never had a problem with early deployment or not deploying at all, and they have stood up well. I think the key is to place a small rubber and around the blades. I use the ones I got for my braces years ago. I shoot 2 blades, and will continue to do so until I lose them all

Comment

Last year we had a friend in bow camp, who shot an elk with a very similar expandable broadhead, but it didn't fully penetrate and we only found a quarter drop of blood, and lost the elk. I'm sure they would work fine for a treestand hunter where most you know where most your shots are gonna be, but for the spot and stalk hunter where you never know what the shot oppourtunity will be, I would stick to the good, old fixed broadheads. They have been proven time after time and I've heard a lot more bad things about expandables, then any fixed broadheads. Hope this helps.

Comment

I use a fixed blade so that they are there when I want them... every time. I agree with Mike0714 above that shot placement is EVERYTHING in bow hunting. I have had Rages tangle in brush while walking and partially deploy. They don't fly any straighter than a fixed blade and they CAN have issues. They don't kill deer any deader either.

Comment

i use fix blades i took a shot at the buck of a lifetime and my rage broad head never opened. i now use fixed blade if i lose a deer i want it to be my fault not a broad head. i now use G5 montec fixed blades.

Comment

Some people are looking for a broad heads that will have good blood loss.I know I do because were I hunt its so thick you have to have good blood.I had times with fixed blades were I never had a speck of blood.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Pistol shooting form.
                                by DakotaMan
                                I never tried that one 99, You learn something every day....
                                Today, 01:20 AM
                              • Reply to Hunting pants?
                                by PigHunter
                                I wear cotton all winter. In Central Alabama we rarely get snow and have relatively mild temps. I won't hunt if it's below 20 degF. A camo poncho is what...
                                Today, 01:17 AM
                              • Hunting pants?
                                by fitch270
                                This one came to mind as I replied to PigHunter's thread up top about "What's on your belt?". I started drifting but decided it might be worth...
                                Yesterday, 10:22 PM
                              • Reply to Hunting pants?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I usually wear a loose fitting pair of fairly heavy camo pants and a camo shirt for the season from short sleeve cotton to heavy wool. If it gets colder,...
                                Today, 01:13 AM
                              • Reply to What's on your belt?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I always have the knife, sometimes the old Ruger Single Six. ...
                                Today, 01:05 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X