Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting ready for the upcoming bowseason, I want to purchase a new bow and have a descent limit on what I can spend. Its goi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting ready for the upcoming bowseason, I want to purchase a new bow and have a descent limit on what I can spend. Its goi

I'm getting ready for the upcoming bowseason, I want to purchase a new bow and have a descent limit on what I can spend. Its going to be a g rad present so around $400-$500. But I want something that is light and can pack a punch, I'm shooting 65 comfortably... I want something that can break both shoulder plates of a deer [I had a problem with my bow not being able too this year.] But let me know what you guys think, which bow should I get!? Also... I've asked this before but I''ve got some extra change saved up and was going to get the $100 trail cam, I forgot the name but its the cheap one... But I was thinking of saving maybe $40 or $50 more to get a better qaulity one, what do you guys think?!

Spend the bucks on getting the right bow and getting setup right before buying the trail cam. This is the biggest mistake hunters make and regret it down the line!

Having a picture of a Monster buck is one thing, but having a picture of that Monster Buck with you in it?

You decide!

Comment

I agree with Clay if you don't have enough jack to get the right bow save until you do. I have a moultrie trailcam from Cabela's that costs around 125 or so. The trailcam pics in my photo-files came from it. Also I have a cheaper cam and it sucks.
      The most expensive is not always my favorite of anything but personally I like quality stuff be it gun, knife or gear.

Comment

well, I mean I'll be able to have the jam up bow because like I said its for a graduation present. So theyr going to help me out untill its set up nice. So what bow would you guys prefer?

And I have that money set off to the side and have been saving a little bit here and there for awhile and was going to get the cheaper one but $25 more dollars isn't alot, I could do that.

Comment

I boguth this Moultrie cam at basspro http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_95973____SearchResults It is a great cam for less then $100. You can click on my profile here on F&S and see some of the pictures I got with it. In my opinion this is best cam for the price. I am glad a didnt spend extra coin for a nicer one. This is all I needed. It takes great pictures too. The only thing is you need to put a sd card in it. They don't come with a usb cord.

Comment

I got a bow for my high school graduation, but that was in 06. I just went to the local pro shop and started shootin. I went with the one that I shot best, which was the hoyt trikon. I just recommend that you go to your local shop like I did and start testing. Pick the one you like best, and if you dont have the money then, save up. It will last you as long as you want. All major brands are making some great bows, by the way, just pick the one that feels best to you.

Comment

thanks jlfreeborn, thats good advice. I'll have to just go and try them all, I think I would have better luck at the small local shops then the local Gander MT.

Thanks lovetohunt, I'll have to see the pics.

Comment

Buy a Mathews bow and deck it out with a trophy taker drop away rest and a good fiber optic sight. I like 3 pins. Throw on a light hydro stablizer and your set.

You'll have to decide if you like the long or short bows or attached or detached quiver.

I don't care for peep sights but I'm in a very small minority. I feel peeps are great for target bows but not for hunting bow.

Regardless of the brand of bow you buy it's not the bow that decides how well it shoots. It's you.

Comment

I don't think there are any bows out there that will break through both shoulders. You need a rifle for this.

Comment

I too am on the market for a new bow and am leaning heavily toward the Mission X3 (missionarchery.com/) by Mathews. Reasonably priced with the usual Mathews features, just not the cosmetics. Check it out. Agreed with Shane tho on breaking shoulders, you'll punch a hole thru one, MAYBE both, but you won't break them. Why shoot at the shoulders anyway? You want to put a broadhead thru the heart/lungs, not the scapula. Good hunting.

Comment

This time last year I decided I was going to get a new bow and make my old Browning my backup. I shopped around, shot several and settled on the Parker Trailblazer XP. Outfitted it was $499, I changed the sight and addedd a stabalizer bar and the total with tax was right at $750. I can put groups of 4 arrows in a 6" circle out to 50 yards. I'm not saying go with the Parker, although I think it's a great bow. Go with what you shoot the best. If I had unlimited funds I probably would have gotten a Matthews but it would have probably cost me +-$400 more.

Comment

I agree with shane. You shouldn't be trying to break any shoulders. Shoot just behind the shoulder. All you have to break is a rib, if that, and you should get pass-thrus. A 60-70# bow is great, but don't get too caught up in needing to pull 70# for deer.

Comment

Answer to ALL of your questions....

Don't get me wrong I fully try to support my local Archery shop. Seems like there are less and less of them around because of the big guys BUT...

Best bang for your buck.
                          Huntersfriend.com <-----

I picked up the PSE Stinger, and got my GF the Diamond. Read what they do on the site. I picked up mine for $500 and got EVERYTHING needed to hit the woods. From release to broadheads. PLUS they tune it for you!
                          No joke-
                          within 50 arrows of having the bow and not touching a single site pin, @ 20yrds I broke 5 knocks and had 1 robin hood!
                          Check their site out. Really good deals!

Comment

Shane
                            Steve

I think he wants the bow to be able to break both shoulders, incase of a missplaced shot, we all have those shots that did'nt go exactly were we want them.

Comment

The typical bow 50-70 lbs can't break through the shoulders of a deer and to try that kind of shot with archery gear is definitely not a smart approach. You can with super heavy arrows and massive draw weight bows, but this type of thing is not common. You would be better off, I feel, with a moderate draw weight bow and a through knowledge of a deers anatomy.The heart lung shot at broadside is the best shot that you can take. There are so many wonderful bows available today that it would be difficult to choose a poor one. I have used the Matthews for many years and have been fully satisfied. Make sure that you buy your bow from a pro shop because they can offer so much advice to make you a better archer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad