Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider hunting with a crossbow, bowhunting? Should crossbows be allowed in archery seasons or firearm seasons? What's y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is very little difference between crossbows and compounds. If anything you have a much shorter effective range with crossbows. Bolts are shorter than arrows and drop like a rock after 25 yards. Most guys hunt from treestand where the deer don't see you pull your bow back anyhow. Ohio considers crossbows as archery equipment and we have no problem here with it. If anything I'd rather have a guy shooting a crossbow than a compound if he hasn't or doesn't have time to practice.

Comment

Valid points by everyone. buckhunter where i bowhunt, and i'm sure in other heavily bowhunted areas, Deer do look up so it can be difficult to draw on them. Still as hunters, we should all be afforded the same oppurtunity to get afeild, regardless of what we prefer to use.

Comment

Hmm didn't like that idea huh?

Comment

Point made.

Comment

Cross bows are fine with me I have one, but do I use it....no not much. If I am in a special situation maybe...I guess it is like free drifting a night crawler to a small stream trout...It is a blast, but I usually just go for the sanjuan worm instead

Comment

Mr. Cooper is right again. In Ark. there is no restrictions/same as Ohio. I've used both and they both have advantages/disadvantages.
              As for all the people who are anti-xbow, have you ever even shot one ? They are'nt as "user friendly" as you are thinking. Like I said Mr. Cooper is right, an to quote Nathan Hale(If you don't know,look it up)
              "WE MUST HANG TOGETHER,OR WE WILL SHURLY HANG ALONE !!

Comment

The only way i think crossbows should be legal is if somebody who cannot physically pull back a compound bow uses one. the down side to this is people abuse this privlege and pretend they're hurt so they can kill a deer with less effort.

Comment

I belive that crossbows(legal in the great state of Pennsylvannia) should be legal in all states for people who are new to bow hunting or if a hunter sustains an injury and is unable to pull a bow back should be allowed to use a cross bow.

I do not see what point Clay Cooper is trying to make it sounds to me that he is to tied up on the subject and has nothing else to do

Comment

I've never seen anything wrong with using a crossbow to hunt deer or anything else for that matter. Some feel that there is an unfair advantage because you don't have to pull back to shoot, but I just can't see that as a big deal. Anything that will get more people in our ranks is a good thing and is not to be discouraged. I worked on one a few years ago and was amazed by the accuracy. It always seem to feel awkward in my hands. To each his own!

Comment

cross bows for disable hunters or kids sure no problem for every one no way .its just more tradtion to me to hunt a recure or compound . but as i age more every year a cross bow want be out of the my thoughts. but if it means more hunters in the woods then let them us a cross bow .they might take a kid huntting some day .and as libertyfrist said to each his own

Comment

I have never tried an x-bow but I would still consider them a hunting tool. I am just not sure that it is quite as challenging...although I am not saying that using an x-bow would make an easy kill.

Comment

if u have a disability

Comment

Agreed with lovebuckfever and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

My opinion is XBows should be considered primal or rifle weapons. I'd agree that techniquelly it's a bow, but I want you to shoot a recurve/compound in the prone position and split your arrow at 30 yards. While it's slower to shoot it with the crossbow, I bet you can't do it with a R/C. Why is it an issue? At least in my state, Archers get 6 tags vs 3 for everyone else. So I don't think everyone and their grandma should be able to destroy the deer population.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Culture of Lying
                                by Pmacc60
                                Talk about a non sequitur !...
                                Today, 05:46 PM
                              • The Culture of Lying
                                by jhjimbo
                                The culture of lying is epidemic in Washington, D.C. and the rest of the Country. How did this get started? Was it Richard Nixon ? The crooked main...
                                Today, 08:16 AM
                              • Reply to "A little rebellion...."
                                by 99explorer
                                You jokers are just too clever by half.
                                When the Teflon Don comes up for sentencing, he can tell the judge it was just a little rebellion, inspired...
                                Today, 05:32 PM
                              • "A little rebellion...."
                                by FirstBubba
                                ...now and then is a good thing!"

This ought set off Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Stupid! LOL!
                                --------‐‐-------------------------------...
                                08-13-2022, 12:45 PM
                              • Reply to AG Garland is a real low life!
                                by franchi20
                                Merrick Garland has driven the last nail into the coffin holding any hope of reuniting this country in the near future. His demeanor shows his arrogant...
                                Today, 05:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X