Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things being equal, such as grain weight, shaft length, etc., Can I expect a fixed blade broadhead to fly to the same point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say the majority of lost deer are due to a seemingly good shot but an actual bad shot, NOT mechanical broadheads. You put a good shot on a deer, regardless of the broadhead, he's going down in no time.

Comment

Careful and precise tuning is the key to making field point and broadheads hit in the same spot. After I set my bows up for reasonable flight I start shooting through paper to fine tune the flight characteristics.I start at 5'and continue to work with the bow and arrow combo until I can make a perfect bullethole through the paper at all ranges. If you shoot with your fingers, a slight tear to the left(for a right hand shooter)is acceptable. I simply do not do this activity casually and work very hard to get the result that I want. There are some poor broadheads on the market that will not fly but there are a great many more that work very well indeed. I personally have had the best flight and performance on deer with the Muzzy and the Thunderhead and I will tell you honestly that they hit exactly where my field points hit. Good luck to you.

Comment

They're hard to find anymore but I like the old Bear Razorhead in 145 grains, something that will cut thru ribs if necessary and can be sharpened. Welcome to the family, good hunting.

Comment

Watch some of the Primos team video's. They use Rocky Mountain -Synpers and their deer go on the ground. These are mechanicals. I have read field testing reports in Bowhunting magazine and they have a good articles on penetration,deflection, and how tough these mechanicals are compared to fixed blade broad heads. After researching this quite a bit I bought the rocky Mountains but also considered Wasp-Jak-Hammer and Rocket - Steelhead which also got high marks. Fixed blade broad heads tend to plane on the wind giving you a diffent impact point then a field tip. i tried the Blazer viens but still was not satisfied. Shooting targets with fixed blade broadheads can get expensive(a set of braodhead blades and a broad head target gone if you choose this route and practice. The mechanicals worked the best for me. I removed the side blades and re-sharpen the cut on impact tip. I can use a standard target. I don't have a yard to shoot in so i have to pay five dollars each time I shoot at the range. The point of impact is the closest to my field tips ...less time and less money to sight in.

Comment

Agreed with CPT BRAD and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Future of Energy
              by 99explorer
              I really think you guys ought to move to Australia.
              Today, 10:36 PM
            • Future of Energy
              by jhjimbo
              It is a mixed bag going forward. Some refiners have closed and no new ones will be built (approved). Everything will be based on supply and demand....
              Today, 08:14 AM
            • Reply to Future of Energy
              by bowhunter75richard
              The cost of energy is now becoming a very serious issue. Much of the present problem is a result of refineries closing down due to declining income. And...
              Today, 09:19 PM
            • Reply to Buffalo Shooting
              by 99explorer
              When your gripes are many
              and your rewards are few,
              remember that the mighty oak
              was once a nut like you.
              Today, 09:01 PM
            • Buffalo Shooting
              by jhjimbo
              18 yo goes into a grocery store dressed in body armor and tactical gear. Records everything as he shoots 13 people.
              Gov. Kathy Hochul jumped all...
              Yesterday, 12:24 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X