Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All things being equal, such as grain weight, shaft length, etc., Can I expect a fixed blade broadhead to fly to the same point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All things being equal, such as grain weight, shaft length, etc., Can I expect a fixed blade broadhead to fly to the same point

All things being equal, such as grain weight, shaft length, etc., Can I expect a fixed blade broadhead to fly to the same point of aim as a field point? How about mechanical blades? What do you all suggest as a hunting point for a beginner? Thanks for the info.

All things being equal it has always been my position to practice with the broadhead you will be hunting with. In my personal experience, a broadhead will shoot differently than a field point, especially at longer bow ranges (i.e. 25 yards). I have been told the blades exert a small aerodynamic effect on the arrow in flight which will alter point of impact. Obviously, one will have to touch up sharpen the broadheads after shooting them into a target. Use a target made specifically for broadhead use. Hope that helps.

Comment

I agree, broadheads rarely shoot the same as field points. You should try a couple different broadhead types to find one that flies best. Believe it or not my broadheads were hitting higher than my field points, so my 20yd pin with field tips is a 25 yd pin with my broadheads. Who'dve thought?

Comment

Some Broadheads are designed to fly like field points, but will "plane" the wind at extended ranges (usually beyond 30-40 yards) past comfortable shooting ranges for most archery hunters. Older models of fixed-blade broadheads had to be "tuned" or sited-in with the bow. Mechanical broadheads have field point flight, but also have their drawbacks. They can fail to open, or deflect on sharp-angled shots; they usually don't penetrate as well because of lost energy used for the blades to open. Rage Broadheads are a good balance (or so I've heard) of field point flight, deep penetration and minimal loss of energy due to their rearward deployment of blades.
        I personally shoot fixed blade broadheads (Slick Trick 100 Grain Magnums), they fly the best out of my bow, exactly like the field points I shoot. I personally feel more confident in shooting these then a mechanical broadhead. I'd buy some of each, if you can afford it and shoot them at various yardages and angles and decide for yourself.

Comment

Not all the time. Broadheads are heavier therefore having to aim a little higher. A good beginner tip is a field tip to practice with, a JUDO point to hunt rabbits and squirrels.

Comment

No Broadheads will rarely hit in the same place as field points mine are usually 6-8 inches to the right and about 2-3 inches higher. Muzzy makes some great broadheads and they are TUFF I've shot mine into trees before and pulled them out with not one blade breaking.

Comment

Agreed with Brad. But, Mechanicals will fly the closest to field tips.

Comment

I've been shooting Slick Tricks for 3 years and have yet to have to move my site that has been tuned with field points. So, maybe its the bow, broadhead/arrow/weight combinations...

Comment

I use G5 Montecs and they do shoot about 2" left and 2" lower than my fieldpoints. As the season approaches I do adjust my sight and start shooting only broadheads but I do wait so I don't have to buy two Block targets a year. Even the practice broadheads tear them up eventually.
                  I have been told by people who know more than I do about archery that the difference is due to improper broadhead alignment. I tried adjusting them after spinning them but it did not make a big of difference. Operator error could be a huge factor here. Also they all shoot to the same different point of impact so I'm not sure if alignment is the issue.
                  I love the Montecs as they are easy to sharpen. They do well on game but do get busted up if you miss and hit rocks or even frozen dirt. I have some Muzzy heads too. Maybe I will try them.
                  Never tried mechanicals for the reasons rezavoirdog mentions.

Comment

I tried Mechanicals and after shooting 3 bladed 100 grain MUZZY’S, I prefer the MUZZY”S over the Mechanicals. Every deer I shot with the MUZZY they blew right thru them sticking in the ground a good 8 inches at 55 yards out and leaving a massive wound channel. They shoot the exact point of aim as my 100 grain field tips.

I use a Gold Tip 5575 cut at 28 inches with MUZZY 100 Grain 3 blade with both standard and luma knocks for hunting. The accuracy is outrageously phenomenal!
                    As for the actual setup for both and arrows you truly need to go to a reputable Archery Shop and have the bow tuned and settings adjusted for proper draw length, weight or draw and arrows cut to that length of draw. Not doing so will cost you more than you will ever know!

Today’s bows are High Performance, why have a race car only hitting on 6 cylinders instead of 8 and 10 degrees off timing!

Comment

Thanks Clay Cooper for proving my "point" on field points and broadhead accuracy (being equal), kinetic energy and penetration.
                      P.S. G5 Strikers are also a great broadhead (expensive though!)

Comment

I agree with Cooper, Muzzy's are the way to go. I prefer the 4 blade 1 inch cut. The wind doesn't seem to affect the flight of them as much and they will crash right through bone. I bought a new sight last year(Trophy Ridge Matrix) that is tool-less. I have a paint mark for field points and another one from my broad heads. It's not a big difference but just enough for those long shots.

Comment

Ask any guide or highly experienced hunter. The vast majority of well hit but lost deer are a result of mechanical broadheads. Use fixed blade heads, especially cut on contact ones.

G5 Montec is the best deer broadhead ever. I would say it's the best ever, but it's not very big, for elk and such.

Comment

My thunderheads are 3 inches lower than my fieldtips at 25 yds but I get a tight group. I sight my bow in with broadheads.

I agree wholeheartedly with shanes post. Stick with fixed blades. You will be happy you did.

Comment

Sorry guys but I have to stay with rage 2 blade. They are expensive, but they shoot like a field point and cut a massive wound that causes a huge, short bloodtrail. Click my name and go to page 7 of my photos and check the pic of a rage 2 blade broadhead wound.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                My Father and I built a 50'X50' pole barn to store his boat and a couple of friends boats over the winter. Just simple construction, we used 16 used...
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by Amflyer
                                Aaaaaaaand...there goes Derek.
                                Today, 04:04 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by 99explorer
                                Trump is so desperate to screw up the election that he is willing and able to damage the U.S. Postal Service by withholding necessary funding.
                                He
                                Today, 03:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X