Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the distances I should set my pins at on my sight. I have a 4 pin sight and haven't put the time into setting all the p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shane... haha!

Comment

yeah sorry didn't know what still hunting totally meant. It was my first year hunting last fall so I don't know alot of stuff quite yet.

Comment

It's OK. That's what we're here for. Welcome to the best resource for hunting and fishing knowledge there is.

Comment

I would start at 20, 30, 40, 50. I hunt in the woods and never sit at a field edge though.

Comment

I start at 10 and then go up to 20 and then to 30 and so on.

Comment

I have my first one set on my bow at 13 yards, then go to 23, then 30. Unless you are a dedicated and experienced shooter/hunter anything much past 35-40 yards is too far.

Comment

13 yards?? why?

Comment

10,20,30,40 and if you have a 15 yard shot put the heart of the deer between the 10 and 20 pins, if it's 25 yard shot put the heart between 20 and 30 etc. You should have all your bases covered with that setup.

Comment

I use one pin for 20-25 yard shots. In the area I hunt I can't shoot much farther than that.

Comment

I set mine to 20, 30, and 40. I'm not comfortable shooting past 40, so I took the fourth pin off.

Comment

Agreed with Greenhead answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I thought I would add one more thing...

My dad used to bow hunt until recently and his bow is set at 0, 15, 25. He has shot probably 60 deer and none have been over 30 yds so in his opinion there is no need fo go beyond 25 yds. Or for that matter above 50# if your hunting medium sized game. His bow is probably 45#. Accuracy is deadly is his mantra. It's all that matters to him and he's very accurate.

Comment

i have 2 bows.

One shoots at 222 fps. It has a 3 pin sight set at 0, 10, 20
                            The other is about 255 fps and it has a 4 pin sight 10,20,25,30.

Comment

On my 45 pound bow I shoot 10 20 25 30 u don't really need a 5 or 0 pin whit a 10 if a deer comes in at 5 you just be a few inches high and I a tree stand it's hard to shoot 5 yards anyways.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad