Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the distances I should set my pins at on my sight. I have a 4 pin sight and haven't put the time into setting all the p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the distances I should set my pins at on my sight. I have a 4 pin sight and haven't put the time into setting all the p

What are the distances I should set my pins at on my sight. I have a 4 pin sight and haven't put the time into setting all the pins to specific yardage. Is it best to do it with a range finder on level land? Or is there another way of doing it?

What distances are you comfortable shooting @? If you're primarily tree-stand hunting, then a rangefinder and an elevated stand is your best bet. Having a kid or buddy help you makes this much easier. I'd start w/ 20', 25', 30', and 35' for my pin settings.

Comment

My Switchback is set with pins for 20,30,40,and 50 yards. Just keep in mind if you are high in a tree and the deer is only 5 yd or so from your tree the arrow will hit a couple inches high.

Comment

It depends a lot on your bow. Some bows will shoot laser straight out to 20 yds, while others will drop several inches between 10 and 20. I would set my first pin at 10 yards and work it out until I see the range where I need another pin. I think it is best to have you pins set where the differences in your drop are, rather than at arbitrary distances.

Comment

Greenhead makes a great point. Typically I think it’s best to set them in ten yard increments starting at ten yards. This is because most people without a range finder can best judge distances in ten yard increments. For most compounds the difference between 10 and 20 is slight. However nothing will be better for sighting in your bow than practicing, and getting to know its capabilities.

Comment

i set my bow in ten yard increments on level ground then fine tune from my treestand i hunt out of and always practice at inbetween distances using your preset pins to know where you are shooting

Comment

i use one pin, i shoot up to 30yrds, same pin.if a longer distance just raise up alittle.

Comment

I had my first pin set at 15, and then every 10 yards. Last year I increased my draw weight and had to change everything. Now my first pin is set at 20 yards, and the rest in 10 yard increments. My 20 yard pin is also good for 10. I'd suggest playing with it to see what works best for you.

I set everything up at a local archery range where yardage is marked on a level course. I double checked with a tape measure and was surprised that two of the distances were off a couple of yards. Good to double check.

I do not change my pins for tree stands. I take rangefinder distances to various landmarks (usually trees) around my stand either from the ground or, if from my stand, to points on trees at the same height of the stand.

Comment

I have mine set to 20,30,40,50. As others have said, definitely set the pins to the readings from your range finder not the stated yardages at the range. I set mine on level ground and then practice from an elevated position so see how that changes the trajectory. For intermediate distance 25 yds you can use the gap between the pins but this definitely takes practice. Alot of the faster bows minimize the differences. Lots of practice at 3-D targets at different ranges 33, 27, etc. will give you confidence to make the shots you find in the field.

Comment

It depends on your bow and hunting methods. I hunt from a stand primarily and sight my bow in from an elevated platform.

If your bow shoots fast your pins yardage will be broader.

I would suggest having a "zero" pin for a deer that is directly beneath you.

Comment

Like buckhunter said, it depends on your bow. If your shooting 45 lbs and your bow is slow, then there will be a HUGE drop in arrow flight from 20 to 30 yards. But if you're shooting 70 lbs there is no drop if you have a decently fast bow. You really don't need 4 pins unless your comfortable at taking up to 50 yard shots.

If you're just starting out, stick to a 20 and 30 yard pin. Pass on the bucks that are out of that range or you risk injuring them.

Comment

i have a matthews Q2 and my pins are set at 15,30,45,55

Comment

I have 3 pins 30, 40 & 50 and they work perfect. At 310 fps it shoots flat out to 30 which doubles as the pin I use in elevated tree stand. The distance between my 30 & 50 yard pin is about ¾ inch

Comment

My bow is set at 70 pounds, so I shouldn't see much drop from what everyone is saying. I also spend all my time still hunting in a tree stand.

Comment

Still hunting in a tree stand huh? Interesting...

I just have one pin and I know what to do with it. My shots are rarely over 20 yards, though. Most are much less even. If I'm gonna bowhunt, I'm gonna bowhunt. I guess using a recurve with no pin facilitates that.

On the other hand, If I was planning an open country muley stalk or something of the like, I would go for Clay's setup.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                                by crm3006
                                Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                                Today, 05:22 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X