Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the first deer you ever killed with a bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the first deer you ever killed with a bow?

What was the first deer you ever killed with a bow?

In 1973 I shot an arrow at 3 does standing side by side at 45 yds. My arrow cut both Achilles tendons on a large doe. That was my first bow kill and the first arrow shot at a deer. After that I missed many before making another kill. It was a recurve bow, wooden arrow and no sights. Did have sharp broadheads. Should not have taken the shot.

Comment

Shot at a doe but didn't notice a small branch. The arrow glanced off it and hit her in the rear quarter. So lucky for both the deer and me that it cut her femoral artery. She only made it about 40 yards. Became much more alert to anything in the arrow's path since then.

Comment

My first bow kill was a doe at about 15 yds, but i was way above her. Clipped her spine then right into the vitals. She didn't move more than a few feet. I had been hunting with a rifle solely for about 15 years and had never dropped a deer nor had I shot one any closer than about 50 yards. I lost all interest in rifle hunting after my first bow kill.

Comment

A doe fawn at 30 yards, stalked her from more than 100 yards away, that was the most memorable part of that hunt, not the shot.

Comment

Mule Deer Arizona and what a day, shot it on the tallest ridge around and ran all the way down into the deepest canyon!

Comment

Thst 12 pointer running around in the timber.

Comment

My first deer with a bow was a good sized doe. My third deer was my first bow buck a spike.

Comment

9pt quartering away at just over 40 yds, downhill and across a creek. Heart shot. Let me be the first to say there was a lot of luck involved. It was 1982 and I was shooting the top of the line Bear Whitetail.

Comment

A small Florida Whitetail... a 6 pointer that was lined up broadside and I shot it, getting a double lung hit.

Comment

A whitetail doe at 22 yards.

Comment

Spike buck, 25 yds. There were 12 deer under me, 3 spikes. Waited and waited for a better buck to show. Didn't happen. Eventually one of the Spikes gave me a shot i couldn't resist. I promptly shot over his back though. The second shot connected

Comment

Fork horn with a Fred Bear 45 lb. recurve, wooden arrow and Bear Broadhead. Instinctive shooting. arrowed him at 12 paces from a ground blind on the edge of a soybean field. Double lung, complete pass through! He ran about 40 yards and tipped over. I was walking on air for days!

Comment

I was 10-12 feet up in a ladder stand. Watched a button buck walk towards me. He ended up six yards away and I thought, I can make that shot. I only had to draw my bow. He promptly stopped and looked in the other direction for about fifteen seconds. Hit both lungs and he ran 30 yards then fell over. I doubt it will ever get that easy again.

Comment

I shot a 4 point. After watching feed on alfalfa for about twenty minutes, I finally got a shot at 15 yards. Made a good shot, but it was the easiest tracking job I have every had. It took off and ran a total of about 70 yards, but in its last mad dash it made a huge u-turn and died about 10 feet from the base of my tree stand.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X