No announcement yet.

Have you ever turkey hunted with a bow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever turkey hunted with a bow.

Have you ever turkey hunted with a bow.

No, but i want to this spring.

Comment

During the overlap between fall turkey and archery deer seasons.

Comment

No because it is very difficult unless you are sitting and calling and i prefer stalking.

Nate

Comment

I have. A nice Tom with a 9 " beard and 3/4" spurs. Hit him at about 15 yards. He flapped his wings 3 or 4 times, did a somersault and went a total of MAYBE 3 feet. Didn't even twitch after that - amazes me to this day (happened in the deer-turkey overlap last fall). I want to try it again this spring. Good luck to you!

Comment

I usually go with my shotgun even though I do have a bow. I have been sometimes with my bow but the movement to draw has a high chance of spooking the birds away so you need to be in some sort of ground blind.

Comment

I have called up birds for bow hunters and have had mixed results.

Comment

Stalking Turkeys isn't good practice. It's illegal in most states and a decent way to get shot.

Comment

No, My friend has and its a challenge.

Comment

Shot my last 5 with a bow. Two from a ground blind, two from a treestand (deer overlaps turkey in Ohio)and one spot and stalk. Let me tell you, if you want to have fun try sneaking up on those boogers. I was on my knees with my box call between my legs when I called him in. 10.5 inch beard.

I wouldn't reccomend stalking unless you know no one is around. I own the place so I was pretty sure I was safe.

Comment

Be careful Buckhunter I know of a guy that was shot on private land by a trespasser that thought he was a Turkey. That load of #4 shot in the back and neck hurt that old man bad.

I have killed 2 Gobblers with a bow both while deerhunting. One had 5 beards that total 35 inches. You can see the pic in my photos by clicking my username. Looks like 1 huge beard but is actually 5. Killing a Turkey with a bow is extremely difficult in most cases. By far your best chance is to use a blind to conceal your draw. Do not take long shots. The kill zone is about the size of a softball. Miss that and lose the bird to the coyotes.

Comment

ya my cousin uses turkey terror broadheads

Comment

no, but if i did i would have to get me some gobbler guillotines

Comment

No, but I hope to next year. My friend will this spring.

Comment

Yes, not very high success rates (especially without a blind - the way me and my pals hunt), but man what a rush!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad