Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your maximum effective range with a bow? At what range can you put 5 arrows in a 3-inch circle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your maximum effective range with a bow? At what range can you put 5 arrows in a 3-inch circle?

What is your maximum effective range with a bow? At what range can you put 5 arrows in a 3-inch circle?

40 yards

Comment

It depends on how practiced up I am. I have put 5 arrows in a three inch circle from 40 yds, but that's stretching it for shooting at deer for me. I would be more comfortable from 30 or less, but i can shoot 40 if the opportunity and angle of the shot was perfect. By the way, I have never taken a shot that far.

Comment

I would have to say t all depends on the shooter. Each one of us shoots differently and feels more comfortable in specific shot scenarios.
        Me I can keep it in a 3-inch circle at around 40-45 yds...but Im not sure I would take that at a deer, it would have to be an almost perect shot.

Comment

My personal line in the sand is 30 yards.

Comment

My back yard is only about 30 yrds across so thats as far as I can shoot. I can however shoot within a 3 inch circle from 30 yrds. Im getting a new, better bow this summer, sso that will hopefully change to 40 yrds. But I still wouldnt shoot a deer past 30 unless it was a HUGE deer that wasnt coming my way.

Comment

35 yds, though I haven't taken a shot at that range, only practice. In thick woods 35 yds is awfully far.

Comment

3 inch group at 40 yards. Have only three pins, shoots flat out to 30 yard pin, 40 and 50 yard pin. No 60 yard pin but I can estimate 65 with MOP accuracy!

Comment

I'm good out to 40 yards, gets iffy at 45 but under perfect circumstances I will do 45.

Comment

I'm insanely accurate at short range for some reason, but get past 30-40, and my shooting gets a lot worse a lot faster.

I would never take a shot with a bow on big game past 40, no matter how confident I was with my ability to make a good shot. I've yet to shoot anything big past 25 with a bow, and I can't believe I just said 40, but the technology now is ridiculously good, and also I saw this show where they were stalking open-country mulies, no cover, and pretty much no chance of getting much closer than 40. I wanna do that. Real bad.

Comment

35 yards is about my maximum range. However a friend once shot at a 300 class bull with his bow at about 60 yards. It had walked up to within 10 yards of us, apparently noticed or smelled us and hauled butt before we could shoot. I was not even thinking about shooting when it stopped and turned sideways to look at us from 60 yards. Anyway my friend hit the elk perfectly, it stood still for a few minutes and then fell over pushing the arrow almost all the way through its chest. We waited about 20 minutes and walked over to find it stone dead. The friend only had three arrows, all were three different brands with different broadheads on each shaft. You can't imagine how frustrated I was having to help him haul that bull off the mountain and 15 miles horseback to the trailhead.

Comment

1 inch

Comment

The answer to the first question is 40 yards. The answer to your second question is 20 yards. >vbg<

Comment

I generally don't shoot farther than 25-30 yeards.

Comment

i only shoot if there with in 30 but i can put 5 arrow with in 3in at 40yards

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by PigHunter
                                I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                                Today, 02:16 PM
                              • Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                                Today, 12:21 PM
                              • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                                by fitch270
                                I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                                Today, 01:40 PM
                              • 300 yard .22lr
                                by jhjimbo
                                Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                                Today, 11:28 AM
                              • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                                Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X