Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This often comes up when im with my hunting buddies. Do you use a rangefinder? Why or why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Yes I do!!!

Leave a comment:

• mjbooth
    replied
    just pace out landmarks and remember than. you will never have technology error that way.

Leave a comment:

• shane mcelroy
    replied
    i do because i like to be sure, the only time i dont is if the deer is coming in fast and cant get them out in time

Leave a comment:

• Big C
    replied
    Never have. My shooting lanes aren't that far so I don't really need one.

Leave a comment:

• trophyslayer
    replied
    Depends. If you hunt whitetail from a treestand with a bow there is no need for a rangefinder. You will probably take no more than a 40 yd shot in the woods and you should be walking off those yardages prior to hunting that stand so you can get your bearings on what those distances look like from that stand's point of view. However if you're using a gun and will be shooting 70+ yards it would be a decent investment.

Leave a comment:

• patch 1010
    replied
    Yes, I hunt in Idaho. Open areas, and forest areas. In order to make the most humane kill, I want to know the yardage. I constantly practice on small 3-D deer targets out to 70 yards, not that I want to take a 70 yard shot. I have seen for 10-30 yds. I can use the same pin, put after that the drop is exponential. 5 yds could be the difference in a killing shot and a wounding shot.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    I had rather forget my binoculars than my rangefinder. I figured out long ago that in the wide open west where I hunt no one can accurately figure the range, not even natives. The rangefinder will make a lier out of you most of the time. It also decreased the distance that a lot of people claimed they killed animals since a guy with a rangefinder could check out the shot. Just practicing with one will give you a more secure mental idea of what a specific distance looks like. Money well spent if you hunt with a rifle in open country. In the trees of the east its probably just something else to lug around.

Leave a comment:

• buckeye
    replied
    No, I just can't bring myself to spend the money on one.

Leave a comment:

• t_holinka
    replied
    Yes, but not while a deer is comming. I prerange out different trees along corridors so there is less movement when an animal is comming.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    Never used one. I would like to get one someday. They would be very usefull for bow hunting

Leave a comment:

replied
    I think that it gives you the thought in the back of your head: "o that's close enough i think".

Nate

Leave a comment:

• rezavoirdog
    replied
    I think it is handy, if you can afford it. Out here in the West, it can get pretty open and you feel like what appears as 100 yards is really 170 yards and vice versa, especially in country you've never hunted before. For the most part, they're good to tune your bow sight pins and to range land marks with when you set-up a stalk or a stand. They're handy during rifle season too. I use mine to sight my gun in every year.

Leave a comment:

• MB915
    replied
    Just like most other have said, I always carry one bow hunting, its nice to know the distances to certain objects before the deer shows up. I take it during rifle season but dont "use" really. I use it when I am bored and need to kill time by picking a landmark and guessing the distance and seeing if I am correct. Otherwise any deer I can see where I rifle hunt is close enough to shoot.

Leave a comment:

• Golfing Sportsman
    replied
    Bow hunting, i use mine when i get in the stand to mark trees so i have known ranges, i don't want to be fiddleing with it when a deer comes by.

Leave a comment:

• BBD19
    replied
    Nope there to expensive

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad