Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This often comes up when im with my hunting buddies. Do you use a rangefinder? Why or why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This often comes up when im with my hunting buddies. Do you use a rangefinder? Why or why not?

This often comes up when im with my hunting buddies. Do you use a rangefinder? Why or why not?

Bow only, I have a Bushnell thats mounted on my HCA 4Runner

Comment

I don't have on are they worth the money?

Comment

No because i hunt in a very wooded area and i dont have the money but it would be nice for oppen areas.

Comment

I dont use one because I dont have one. I think one is in my future though.

Comment

yes i do because i want to know how far the deer is.

Comment

I just use my dads. I use muzzleloader, so when i get to my blind i just see how far away landmarks are, and compare deer with them to see if their close enough. I dont use them after about the first 5 minutes in the blind though, they are too loud and if a deer comes out while using one you are in trouble, cause you might spook it while putting the range finder down and picking up your gun.

Comment

i do when i can borrow my brothers.

Comment

Yes, primarily when bowhunting. Use it to check distances to various trees around my stand. Also use it periodically to gauge my guess at objects at various distances.

Comment

I have never have used one in all of my years of hunting. Im not saying there not useful for the beginner but you need to know your distance by good old practicing what would happen if your batteries died? would you have an electronic meltdown? or use your skills to get you buy think about it did fred bear have a range finder?

Comment

Nope there to expensive

Comment

Bow hunting, i use mine when i get in the stand to mark trees so i have known ranges, i don't want to be fiddleing with it when a deer comes by.

Comment

Just like most other have said, I always carry one bow hunting, its nice to know the distances to certain objects before the deer shows up. I take it during rifle season but dont "use" really. I use it when I am bored and need to kill time by picking a landmark and guessing the distance and seeing if I am correct. Otherwise any deer I can see where I rifle hunt is close enough to shoot.

Comment

I think it is handy, if you can afford it. Out here in the West, it can get pretty open and you feel like what appears as 100 yards is really 170 yards and vice versa, especially in country you've never hunted before. For the most part, they're good to tune your bow sight pins and to range land marks with when you set-up a stalk or a stand. They're handy during rifle season too. I use mine to sight my gun in every year.

Comment

I think that it gives you the thought in the back of your head: "o that's close enough i think".

Nate

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad