Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you are about to put up your stand for bowhunting, what is the first thing you look for? Is there something particular that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you are about to put up your stand for bowhunting, what is the first thing you look for? Is there something particular that

When you are about to put up your stand for bowhunting, what is the first thing you look for? Is there something particular that you need to hunt over?

First thing is a good deer trail, then a nice tree off of it.

Comment

Deer runs or food sources for me. I know where the runs are and where the oak trees are. Thats where i concentrate my efforts.

Comment

good trails and lots of rubs

Comment

All of the above but my favorite is a good bottleneck. Bucks hate to leave cover and will use a bottleneck when traveling almost everytime. Also prefer a nice tall straight tree suitable for my Summit climber.

Comment

Similar to Del's feature, I find stands hung over a good funnel to be the most productive for the majority of the season. By funnel I mean something like a reverse river delta, a place where deer from across a wide area on smaller trails converge because of a common destination or physical features of the land that force them all together through one area.

Rutting bucks are haunting those areas for the same reason teenage boys are at the mall - all the girls will be coming through at one point or another. These are the spots that all the phantom bucks from elsewhere that you only see once during peak-late rut will travel to.

Sit on that stand on the right day, and you might see 5 different big bucks, maybe two you've seen before, and 3 mystery monsters from faraway lands, there check out your local stock of does. Hopefully one comes in range.

Find one of these, and you've found your own "honey hole".

Comment

Rubs,scrapes, trails, and food sources all play a part in hanging my stand. The most important things are wind and shooting lanes. Doe bed funnels are very promiseing.

Comment

Good trails, food source, rubs, and scraps.

Comment

A bottleneck if there is one on the property, otherwise a well used deer trail should work.

Comment

a good food source, run ways, rubs, scrapes, and a good sturdy tree over looking the whole area.

Comment

I like to hunt near a food plot that I put out weeks prior to hunting season.

Comment

when i am setting up my stand i look for a well used trail, rubs, scraps, bedding, cover (for the deer and me), food/ water. for me to set up a stand i need to have at least 4 of these things i will make exetoins if the spot is well know to produse deer. my bets stand is in a old apple orchard that has only 5 apple trees in it left to the left there is a feild for food. to the front of me there is 3 rubs and 1 scrap. there are more rubs around me though.there is cover to my back and to my right. iv seen deer there every time iv gone to it. even the day that we set it up.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                            by Ontario Honker Hunter
                            Okay, here's the second image or fore end. Note the instructions glued inside.

That clears up your BS #2 re fore end. Anything on the stock?...
                            Today, 10:12 PM
                          • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                            by derek7
                            Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                            08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                          • Reply to 16 Years
                            by FirstBubba
                            I was just trying to be kind! 😂!🤣!...
                            Today, 10:07 PM
                          • 16 Years
                            by jhjimbo
                            So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                            08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                          • Reply to Crickets !!
                            by rock rat
                            I know people in Taiwan, Singapore, and China. The first outbreak of Covid was followed in minute detail as no one had any idea if it could be controlled...
                            Today, 10:06 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X