Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Bow set up for real deer bow hunting...I hear good things about Bear and Red Head. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Bow set up for real deer bow hunting...I hear good things about Bear and Red Head. Thoughts?

First Bow set up for real deer bow hunting...I hear good things about Bear and Red Head. Thoughts?

Bear is good, but for a decent quality and long life, consider Matthews or PSE. I would steer away from the Bass Pro brand

Comment

Matt,
      Git yerself to a pro-shop. The pro will measure you and can do a better job in person than any of us can do online. I have owned many but none that was better than Mathews. New guys tend to think they need a fast bow. Forget that-you need a QUIET bow-all of them are much faster than older bows. Deer often hear the string and jump out of the way of your arrow if the bow is noisy. In the last 3 seasons I've bagged 8 deer with my Mathews. Click my name then click on my photos and check the Bowkilled Turkey and bucks in there. Mathews has a pro-shop locator in their web site-check it out.

Comment

PSE, Fred Bear is actually very good, unless Matt knows something about them that I don't. My buddy has one, I think "lights out" And its VERY quiet, and its VERY accurate with all market parts/sights/etc. But If you Don't want a BPS brand like they said PSE makes awesome bows.

Comment

I agree with Del, it's not about speed anymore, all of these bows shoot fast enough. You want to find that bow that fits you and the situation you are using it for. If your hiking in the mountains you may want a lighter/compact bow vs. a different style if your just sitting in a tree stand all the time. Definitely get to a shop and shoot several brands to find which one fits you best.

Comment

Fred Bear is good. I have heard good things about them. I dont know anyone with a Red Head but they are probably good as well.

Comment

The Bear bows are great for the money, as are Diamond by Bowthech. if you are looking for a value priced bow.

Comment

I can't stress enough to a novice to go to a bow shop where a proffesional can help get you set up with the correct gear for you and shooting right. Regardless of the gear if it's not tuned right it won't shoot right.

Comment

There are a lot of cheap but good quality PSE and Fred Bear bows out there. Later on you can move up to a Diamond or a Bowtech. I know someone with a RedHead bow, he really like it.

Comment

i agree with del, but i love my mathews.

Comment

Del in KS
                      Is dead on!

May I add what works best for us may not work best for you?

Stay away from Wally World and find a reputable Bow shop.

I’ve seen deer jump the string at 15 yards with an arrow sizzling at 300 fps because the bow sounded like the screen door slamming at my Grandmother’s house. First thing you look for is a bow you can hit with and how quite then you work into how fast it is without sacrificing accuracy and the ability to pull string back with minimal movement

Comment

Chevy, Ford or Dodge?

I like Chevy!

I did have an 1980 International Scout II I'm kicking myself for trading it in!

Comment

Most importantly find one that fits you with the help of a good archery shop regardless of the brand there are many to choose from out there find one that feels good to you. Dont try to pull more than you can handle and practice practice practice and live the outdoor dream!

Comment

I agree with Del. Have a pro shop help you out.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to No-Drill Adjustable Cheek Riser
                              by Ontario Honker Hunter
                              Mine didn't slip around. I seem to recall some grippy stuff on the inside? Actually fit very tight.

My beef with neoprene is it can become
                              Today, 07:02 PM
                            • No-Drill Adjustable Cheek Riser
                              by Buckshott00
                              Jury's still out on the Prism Scope vs. the Holograph. I invite you guys to check out my pictures and review and cast a vote.

I've got...
                              Yesterday, 04:45 PM
                            • Reply to 16 Years
                              by PigHunter
                              Jim, there's no way that would be allowed on a modern construction site. Those holes were a potential death trap without something shoring up the sides....
                              Today, 06:57 PM
                            • 16 Years
                              by jhjimbo
                              So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                              08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                            • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                              by Ontario Honker Hunter
                              Yeah. Too bad. Too bad this site doesn't have a moderator to flush BS artists like that noncontributory crm troll. He never gives up making a fool of...
                              Today, 06:52 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X