Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some tips on making the most out of a shooting session?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some tips on making the most out of a shooting session?

What are some tips on making the most out of a shooting session?

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If your range time is limited and you are trying to sight in and/or test loads, bring multiple rifles and target stands. When you shoot a group out of one let its barrel cool while you shoot another. As with most tasks, make a priority list before going to the range so as not to be side tracked. Above all remember to have fun!

Comment

I agree with Beekeeper, and if you're not in a hurry take your time, let the barrel cool.

Comment

If you are sighting in, make sure you establish a solid group before moving your sights. I have seen too many people move scopes from one extreme to the other by trying to "chase" each round.

Make sure you have a comfortable aim point. I generally line up where I want to hit, then I close my eyes and take two breaths, when you reopen your eyes that is your natural aim point. You may need to shift position a few times to get it right when you reopen your eyes.

Take your time and let the barrel cool after every round.

Thats my $.02

Comment

I agree with Beekeeper, we're there to have fun, and I see some shooters take it a little too seriously. Much of my shooting is done from benchrest, and I often keep the best target of a shooting session to compete with it next time I return with that rifle. I keep notes on what handloads I use in my varmint rifles and, if the load performs well, I try to refine it or dial it in by varying the seating depth of the bullet slightly.
          If I'm not having a great day, I reach for another rifle and practice the standing offhand position, making a game of it. They can't all be V-ring shots, but I recognize my need to practice in the standing position because my accuracy deteriorates without that practice.
          I continue to find pistol a challenge, and I've learned I occasionally defeat myself by making every practice session a National Match, wanting the first and every bullet to pierce that X-ring. Pointless. I'm well aware that first shot is going to count in the street; however, this is practice and I do seem to "warm up" or improve as the session goes on, so I pop a few balloons or bust a few clays for a warm-up and then concern myself with accuracy.
          It is supposed to be fun, and when it becomes work or you compromise a relaxing activity with the disappointment of not shooting as well as you did last week, it's time to wrap it up or find another sport.
          Many years ago, I became frustrated by a gusting crosswind on the firing line because my shots were stringing horizontally. I turned to the resident pillar of wisdom, salty Master Gunnery Sgt. O'Toole, and asked, "What does it take to master this .45?"
          O'Toole was unflappable. He wouldn't react if his shorts were on fire. He shrugged and commented, "You gotta be A-hole deep in brass before you even begin to be good with that thing. Keep shooting, toss lead and burn gunpowder. You owe it to the taxpayers to be good with that pistol." He reached for his .45 ACP, established a good position, inserted a magazine of 5 rounds and chambered a round, sighted in on the target and turned (away from the targets) to face me, then banged off 5 rounds. All of them ate paper, and he wasn't even focused on shot-to-shot sight alignment. He turned to the target on the last round, shrugged and said, "Just tend to the basics and the rest will take care of itself."
          I keep that in mind. Just tend to the basics, and have fun with it. No practice session goes to waste, but some will be better than others. Your goal is to become more familiar with that rifle, pistol and/or shotgun with every session. Whether you realize tangible improvement with every session is not a win-lose alternative; it's ALL beneficial.

Comment

whatchya doing, shooting targets for fun, competition, hunting or standing around shooting the bull

Comment

If you are sighting in your gun take your time and make every shot count since ammo is so expensive.

Comment

You must take your time and let your barrel cool down between shots. Never rush a thing when sighting in a gun, weather it's a riffle or shotgun, handgun, or bow. Make sure you take deep long breaths and pull the trigger at the end of the exhale. Follow through with your shot, like you would to put draw on your cue ball if playing pool. Make sure that you continue aiming at the target even after the shot. Just remember to "aim small miss small". Remember all of this and you'll be O.K.

Comment

Three things to really know

First, learn from your mistakes

Second is “Humility"

Most important, you never practice anything until you have mastered it and until you mastered it, you’re always be in training and the word practice will never be in your vocabulary because you’ll never be the “Master “ of it!

I’d rather lose a match and learn something rather than win and learn nothing!

Comment

Hey guys, this is under bow hunting, which I know nothing about.

Comment

Yeah, i thought he was talking about archery shooting. Shoot about a dozen or two arrows in a session. Once you get tired, pack it up. You will not shoot well after that.

Comment

well I was thinking archery, but heck any tips are good tips

Comment

Give yourself plenty of time between arrows. Shoot each one as if it is the only arrow you are going to shoot today. After all when you hunt your goal should be to get it all done with one shot. Shooting after you begin to tire will result in your developing back habits. A dozen or 2 is plenty. Use weights to strengthen the arm muscles used in bow shooting.

Comment

First of all, don't shoot too much. You will get tired and then frustrated. Concentrate each time (don't just think of each arrow as yet another shot for the day). And try to keep a consistent form on each shot so that you get into a routine.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                I haven't tried the 6.5 Grendel PH. It is a pretty powerful close range cartridge for its size but it isn't fast enough with those heavier bullets to...
                                Today, 02:20 PM
                              • Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                                by DakotaMan
                                He used H4350 and the Berger 105g Hybrid. He cleaned it religiously but didn't know about carbon ring until I saw the barrel. Overbore cartridges cause...
                                Today, 02:11 PM
                                by PigHunter
                                That's a nice project! Have you tried the 6.5 Grendel and if so, what's your opinion of it?
                                Today, 02:05 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by PigHunter
                                You're right, I'm an Agnostic. But, I've been a Christian, Sunday School teacher, and lay preacher. With an hour's prep I could probably deliver a decent...
                                Today, 02:00 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X