Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If a carbon arrow hits a tree, is it going to shatter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If a carbon arrow hits a tree, is it going to shatter?

If a carbon arrow hits a tree, is it going to shatter?

sometimes. I've had them shatter and I've also spent the time to carve them out and after careful inspection found them to be in perfect shape and reshot them. Also had one explode when I didn't catch a cracked nock, very exciting. Key is to carefully check bolt after each shot.

Comment

Although it shouldn't shatter when hitting the tree... it might break when you try to pull it out. Either way, i think it has a lot to do with luck and or chance... sometimes you'll get lucky and it wont shatter, and sometimes you'll hit a dead tree which is easy to retrieve an arrow from or viser versa.

Comment

Not in my experience, but the broadhead is usually trash.

Comment

Yes if it hits hard enough, and it depends on how hard the tree is.

Comment

i shot at a turkey last season, and lost one of my arrows, i found it stuck in a tree 3 months later, the arrow was fine.

Comment

The only carbon arrows i've seen actually shatter were the cheapest you can possibly buy from bass pro. other than those, i've never had any shatter, and i've hit a lot of trees!!!

Comment

jlfreeborn

Right on BRO!

Comment

I have hit a couple of trees. On all them I was able to turn the arrow out of the broadhead and save the arrow. I can then get the broadhead out and just replace the blades.

Comment

I have shot some trees with carbon arrows by accident but so far none of the lodgepole pines shattered. Sorry boys bad joke...

Comment

It depends on how hard the tree is. But the arrow should just stick in, unles their is a crack or anything break in the arrow, then it will most likely shatter. If there is a broadhead on it, the arrow will almost always just stick in the tree if its not too hard.

Comment

Not if you buy some good quality arrows. Just like most stuff, the more you pay the better the quality.

Comment

Depends on the angle of the arrow to the tree. A straight shot into a tree and the arrow should be fine. (check your noc) If you catch the edge of a tree it will bend your arrow and shatter it.

Comment

Buckhunter is right. I have hit a tree dead-on and my arrow was fine, but I hit the side of a huge chunk of ice once and my arrow broke into three pieces.

Comment

none of mine have shattered

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad