Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to go turkey hunting but have no equipment What type of gun/load is good for a beginner ( have shot up to 270 caliber)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to go turkey hunting but have no equipment What type of gun/load is good for a beginner ( have shot up to 270 caliber)?

I want to go turkey hunting but have no equipment What type of gun/load is good for a beginner ( have shot up to 270 caliber)?

You need good camo, a shotgun that will shoot at least 3" shells, preferable 3.5" magnums. I use a 12ga. and wouldn't go lower than 20ga. Most of the time the tightest choke possible is the norm but I've heard some get a better pattern with mod. You'll need to pattern your gun with the shells you'll hunt with. Probably need a box or slate call and practice calling a lot. I like to use decoys, a jake and a hen or two. Lots and lots of patience. Will you be starting off all by yourself?

Comment

Good answer shark fin.

Comment

I think sharkfin has it about right, I would only add a good pair of binoculars, and maybe a good pair of water proof boots.

Comment

I think an owl hoot would be useful for locating Tom's on the early morning roost. A butt seat or soft pad helps keep you comfy when setting up on a tree. Later in the spring season be mindful of ticks.

Comment

Like Simien said you need a locater call, I use a duck call and think it works better because lots of people use owl hooters to locate with.

Comment

Ground blinds are a nice option in the spring. Don't forget you can shoot them with archery equipment also.

Comment

i would go with a Mossberg 835 ultra mag, you can get a used one for about $250-$300.

Comment

12 gauge with number 4 mag turky loads

Comment

Take your bow, some camo, a call, and go get 'em!

Comment

Agreed with Sharkfin answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad