X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate dove "shot"! 😁

I've seen it on a dove shoot once!

https://citizenfreepress.com/breakin...racy-level-10/

Very cool. I've never had it happen with doves. However I did get knocked down by a quail. I was pheasant hunting and was midway across a little clearing in the woods when I saw a flock of about 25 quail cruising with the wind high above the treas. The flock was going to fly right over me. I quickly pulled up my shotgun and nailed one as they cleared the trees. I was quickly aiming at the second one and about to pull the trigger when the quail I hit struck me right in the side of my head. The impact knocked me out briefly and I awoke on the ground, looking for my shotgun and my one quail.

I also got a great view of my brother one time. I was hiding the boat a ways away from the goose blind when a single Canadian goose buzzed over us at high altitude, flying fast with a strong north wind. He passed right over the blind. I saw my brother jump and shoot. He clobbered the goose but it fell headfirst like an arrow, right into the blind beside his head. He ducked the impact but the strike sounded like dynomite going off and was so forceful right beside my bother's head that it flipped the plywood blind over backwards. I saw my brother's feet kicking around in the bottom of the blind as he tried to get on his feet again.
    Last edited by DakotaMan; 09-08-2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Ive bobbled catching doves Ive shot 3 freakin times.

Did have a goose slam me as I was kneeling shooting at the 3rd. Made me miss. Bumped me over and I looked behind and it was laying across my legs in death quiver.

Saved his one buddy he did. Would have been a triple.

Comment

Some time back, there was and article in F&S or OL where some guys were goose hunting. One guy killed a goose (approx. 12 pounds live weight) that slammed into one of his hunting companions.
        Caused major head and neck trauma and dang near killed the guy!

Comment

Ruffed grouse will sometimes flush straight at you, if what's beyond them is too open and there's better cover back behind you. Or maybe it's just because they know how startling it is. If there's any critter that reads hunter's minds, it's the ruffed grouse.

Comment

I haven't hunted quail in the sense of dogs and genteel hunters in tweeds and neckties, bit I have walked up a few birds on occasion.

A covey rise can be a bit disconcerting......IF you're not expecting it.
            Thank goodness, the mare I was riding at the time was pretty solid.
            When the covey came up under her feet, she danced around a bit but never came "unbuckled"! πŸ˜…

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to BIG deer! (?)
              by FirstBubba
              To say they are "spooky" is an understatement....and they travel in herds with lot'sa eagle eye vision eyeballs to watch on all directions!...
              Yesterday, 10:05 PM
            • BIG deer! (?)
              by FirstBubba
              We came down to south Texas to spend a few days with the youngest.
              We helped assemble a chicken house/run.
              This morning, we all walked out...
              09-25-2022, 09:43 AM
            • Reply to BIG deer! (?)
              by 99explorer
              I knew a cattle rancher back in central Texas who shot an aoudad that had wandered onto his property, having escaped from an exotic game ranch.
              Yesterday, 10:05 PM
            • Reply to TGIF; What’s Up Doc?
              by fitch270
              Jackson Browne

”Doctor My Eyes”

Yesterday, 10:03 PM
            • TGIF; What’s Up Doc?
              by fitch270
              Good tunes to cure what ever ails β€˜ya this week.

Robert Palmer wanting a house call.

Yesterday, 09:54 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X