Wild or Store Bought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I'm not sure, but I think it was you that talked about removing a turkey breast whole?

I remove the breast whole and separate the legs and thighs.
    I use the big, deep, oval foil pans and arrange breast and thighs together in the pan.
    Pepper, a touch of rubbed sage and at least one onion, if not 2, garlic out the wahzoo.
    Then two quarts of chicken stock and cover with 2 to 3 layers of foil, making sure it's (the tin foil!) sealed around the top of the pan.
    In the oven at 350° for an hour. Reduce to 250° and cooked for 3 to 4 more hours.
    Comes out tender and juicy!
    That sounds really good.

I've done different things with turkeys. I know one time I was saying I don't roast them whole very often (for the reasons in my last post), but cut up the separate parts and do them differently. Pan-fried cutlets of breast meat, thighs roasted or braised, drumsticks braised a good long time in the Crock Pot.

"Garlic out the wahzoo," that's my kind of recipe measurement!

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

That sounds really good.

I've done different things with turkeys. I know one time I was saying I don't roast them whole very often (for the reasons in my last post), but cut up the separate parts and do them differently. Pan-fried cutlets of breast meat, thighs roasted or braised, drumsticks braised a good long time in the Crock Pot.

"Garlic out the wahzoo," that's my kind of recipe measurement!
      We usually roast first 2/3 of time in a covered pan then open for the last part. Cover the breast with aluminum foil and keep basting. Another oven has the fan in it and that helps the hot spots from drying things out.

Comment

"... "Garlic out the wahzoo," that's my kind of recipe measurement! ..."

Have you ever grown garlic?
        Talk about awesome.
        Garlic planting season in the south (TX, OK) is October.

We had a flower bed on the north side of the house. I shoved garlic cloves into the soft soil.
        In no time, small, green, onion looking sprouts came up.
        I needed garlic for beans one day, so pulled up 2, slipped the mushy bulb off the end, washed them, chopped them up, green top and all and threw them in the pot.
        The garlic flavor was awesome! ....so next time I put 3 in. WOW! ...
        so next time....yep, I put 4 in!!
        ALL YOU COULD TASTE WAS GARLIC!!!!! LOL!

If I could figure out how to make garlic ice cream, I'd try it!

Comment

Our garlic got away from us this summer and the scapes went to seed. When I dug the garlic I saved the seeds and my wife planted them along with the cloves a few weeks ago. She looked online and the seed should turn into a solid like bulb that you can use or replant next year that will turn into a typical garlic bulb. We’re curious how they’ll turn out.

We don’t grow enough to pickle outright but add some cloves in with our dill pickles. My daughter and I both like picking them out when the jar gets opened.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            Our garlic got away from us this summer and the scapes went to seed. When I dug the garlic I saved the seeds and my wife planted them along with the cloves a few weeks ago. She looked online and the seed should turn into a solid like bulb that you can use or replant next year that will turn into a typical garlic bulb. We’re curious how they’ll turn out.

We don’t grow enough to pickle outright but add some cloves in with our dill pickles. My daughter and I both like picking them out when the jar gets opened.
            I can feel my jaw muscles torquing up now! Man those things are G-U-D "good"!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              "... "Garlic out the wahzoo," that's my kind of recipe measurement! ..."

Have you ever grown garlic?
              Talk about awesome.
              Garlic planting season in the south (TX, OK) is October.

We had a flower bed on the north side of the house. I shoved garlic cloves into the soft soil.
              In no time, small, green, onion looking sprouts came up.
              I needed garlic for beans one day, so pulled up 2, slipped the mushy bulb off the end, washed them, chopped them up, green top and all and threw them in the pot.
              The garlic flavor was awesome! ....so next time I put 3 in. WOW! ...
              so next time....yep, I put 4 in!!
              ALL YOU COULD TASTE WAS GARLIC!!!!! LOL!

If I could figure out how to make garlic ice cream, I'd try it!
              The way garlic softens up when it's roasted, I bet it would blend nicely into vanilla ice cream. I've heard of people doing that with roasted hot peppers. Probably it could be slow-roasted to a point of softness that you wouldn't even need the blender, you could just stir it in with a whisk or even a spoon.

Ever see the movie "Goodfellas"? The old Italian crime boss used a razor blade to slice garlic so thin, it would melt in a pan of hot olive oil.
              Imagine pan-frying some backstrap medallions in that!

I have never grown garlic. We do have some form of wild garlic growing in this region, along with the wild leeks or ramps I dig up in the spring, but I've never looked for it.
              MattM37
              ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
              Last edited by MattM37; 12-02-2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad