Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstBubba
    replied
    We got back to OK from S. Texas Thursday. Most of the farmers around here have their wheat in the ground.
    Stepped out Friday morning to a skein of honking, low flying geese headed for their favorite breakfast local.

P.S. made a mental note of where they crossed the creek.
    Maybe this year! Who knows?
    It's not like I've got to spend a freezing cold morning in a goose pit! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
    We are empty nesters and it’s awesome.
    My youngest just turned 40. We've been empty nesters for 20 years.
    Meh! Good to see 'em when they come...AND...when they go!

Leave a comment:

• Milldawg
    replied
    We are empty nesters and it’s awesome.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    To me, sweet and meat just don't go together.
    I've made venison jerky, both with seasoning kits and with a recipe.
    The kit stuff was the pits.
    The recipe wasn't bad but I just wasn't impressed.
    Haven't made jerky in years.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Did up a batch of jerky from one of the geese. I pulled up a recipe off Rinella’s Meateater site. It turned out ok, basically spicy died meat, lots of black pepper and red pepper we made from dehydrated chilies out of our garden. I’m not even sure I’d know what critter it was if I hadn’t made it. Definitely worth doing again but we’ll experiment with the flavor a bit more. This used a half cup of maple syrup, I’d go with more, if not another type of sweetener next time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2EE14E7F-E38F-4A21-957D-A64A17F5E5DA.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	781078

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    Very happy for him-Firsts are important!

Leave a comment:

• Danbo
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    A few more details.

They got set up well before shooting hours but weren’t the only ones using the field. The other guys showed up after they had and were setting up adjacent when they realized they weren’t alone either. The other group moved over a bit so everyone was safe.

When the geese started coming in the guys figured out there was something about the setup the birds didn’t like. They’d circle several times and still pull up short when they did drop in. The season has been open a couple weeks so they’ve probably been shot at some as well. Invariably the other group ended up with second chances if the birds broke off early or simply headed that way after the guns started going off. The Kid left the full choke in the truck and wished he hadn’t, the guy having the best shooting had an older gun with a fixed full choke. Still, of the nine birds they killed only three needed finishing. They kept track best they could, when the shooting started it was an all hands on deck deal, hard to tell how many birds had hits from multiple guns.

We’ll brine half of what he brought home and make jerky in the smoker. Not sure yet what we’ll do with the other.

He’s hoping to go again next Saturday, last day of the early season.
    Pulled goose is excellent. I have had goose stew and it was also very good .

Leave a comment:

• Danbo
    replied

He had a ball. Doesn’t hurt that this was also his first hunting experience outside of family.

I’ve mentioned he’s a senior, he played ball with his buddy a couple years until the guy graduated in 2020. The other three dudes are college age or just older so between hanging with them and his two college classes I’m sure he’s feeling like he’s coming into his own. Bittersweet for me.
    I understand that , i have two all grown up and on their own.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    A few more details.

They got set up well before shooting hours but weren’t the only ones using the field. The other guys showed up after they had and were setting up adjacent when they realized they weren’t alone either. The other group moved over a bit so everyone was safe.

When the geese started coming in the guys figured out there was something about the setup the birds didn’t like. They’d circle several times and still pull up short when they did drop in. The season has been open a couple weeks so they’ve probably been shot at some as well. Invariably the other group ended up with second chances if the birds broke off early or simply headed that way after the guns started going off. The Kid left the full choke in the truck and wished he hadn’t, the guy having the best shooting had an older gun with a fixed full choke. Still, of the nine birds they killed only three needed finishing. They kept track best they could, when the shooting started it was an all hands on deck deal, hard to tell how many birds had hits from multiple guns.

We’ll brine half of what he brought home and make jerky in the smoker. Not sure yet what we’ll do with the other.

He’s hoping to go again next Saturday, last day of the early season.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by Danbo View Post

Congratulations to your son, thanks for sharing the pictures.
    He had a ball. Doesn’t hurt that this was also his first hunting experience outside of family.

I’ve mentioned he’s a senior, he played ball with his buddy a couple years until the guy graduated in 2020. The other three dudes are college age or just older so between hanging with them and his two college classes I’m sure he’s feeling like he’s coming into his own. Bittersweet for me.

Leave a comment:

• Danbo
    replied

Name:	F44A4FAC-EE7D-43FE-8377-79D8C394F393.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	780568

I don’t have a lot of details yet, just a quick call and a text.

Birds weren’t committing to the decoys well but 5 guys killed 9 geese, he took his first two. He left the house at 3am to meet the others.

Big school rivalry football game today, he’s doing game film and I’m headed in now. Post up whatever I can later.

Name:	BFD342E5-476C-465C-9D13-E07DCE94BF1A.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	780567

Congratulations to your son, thanks for sharing the pictures.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Awesome!
    I'm excited and I wasn't even there! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied

Name:	F44A4FAC-EE7D-43FE-8377-79D8C394F393.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	780568

I don’t have a lot of details yet, just a quick call and a text.

Birds weren’t committing to the decoys well but 5 guys killed 9 geese, he took his first two. He left the house at 3am to meet the others.

Big school rivalry football game today, he’s doing game film and I’m headed in now. Post up whatever I can later.

Name:	BFD342E5-476C-465C-9D13-E07DCE94BF1A.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	780567

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Good luck to him. Maybe your next food thread can be goose recipes. (Goose burgers? Maybe not.)

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by Danbo View Post
    Goose hunting has been excellent this year he should have fun.
    Hoping so.

And thanks as well about #2, I wasn’t sure about that and we almost looked it up. Figured since the barrel was off I’d just get it done, it’s likely he’ll hunt ducks with his friend later this season. I had to cut the plug down to the right size, fortunately we got it right the first try. I suppose having it plugged might cost him some opportunities but since it’s his first time and he has limited ammo he’ll likely pick his shots carefully.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to TGIF; Game On
    by fitch270
    Since we’re at the poker table.

Kenny Rogers with some advice

Today, 04:10 PM
  • TGIF; Game On
    by fitch270
    Who’s in?

Kansas

”Play the Game Tonight”

Yesterday, 09:21 PM
  • Reply to MichiganSchool Shooting
    by FirstBubba
    "... a reasonable opportunity to get the gun locked up ..."

Today's liberal "bench warmers" couldn't care less about...
    Today, 04:10 PM
  • MichiganSchool Shooting
    by jhjimbo
    It was reported today the parents of the 15yo shooter were in School THAT MORNING meeting with teachers and administration about the behavior of the shooter....
    Yesterday, 10:53 PM
  • Reply to TGIF; Game On
    by fitch270
    More Lady Gaga

“Poker Face”

Today, 04:06 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X