Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kid’s going goose hunting

Without me ☹️

Buddy of his invited him last weekend if he could come up with his own ammo, we couldn’t track any down so he missed out. I was out of town today and had the opportunity to check out a small gun shop, turns out they had a good supply of 3” BB loads. Picked up one box and texted him. He got in touch with his friend and it’s game on for him this Saturday.

His buddy is excited, he got permission on a fresh cut cornfield that was full of birds yesterday. Farmers haven’t really started chopping yet so this field should be hot. His gang killed 70 birds last weekend at another location so these guys know what they’re doing. Swapped out the turkey barrel on my 835 for a 28” bird barrel I picked up years ago and have never used. Pulled the red dot off, plugged the mag tube and stuck a modified choke in. He’s taking the wrench and a full tube with him just in case. The guys have an extra layout blind for him so he should be all set.

I’m excited and don’t even get to go.

Almost forgot, he went online and picked up his duck stamp after dinner. Can’t go without that.
    Last edited by fitch270; 09-16-2021, 08:23 PM.

OH BOY!!!!!

We can always count on you for some excitement, fitch270!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      Without me ☹️

Buddy of his invited him last weekend if he could come up with his own ammo, we couldn’t track any down so he missed out. I was out of town today and had the opportunity to check out a small gun shop, turns out they had a good supply of 3” BB loads. Picked up one box and texted him. He got in touch with his friend and it’s game on for him this Saturday.

His buddy is excited, he got permission on a fresh cut cornfield that was full of birds yesterday. Farmers haven’t really started chopping yet so this field should be hot. His gang killed 70 birds last weekend at another location so these guys know what they’re doing. Swapped out the turkey barrel on my 835 for a 28” bird barrel I picked up years ago and have never used. Pulled the red dot off, plugged the mag tube and stuck a modified choke in. He’s taking the wrench and a full tube with him just in case. The guys have an extra layout blind for him so he should be all set.

I’m excited and don’t even get to go.

Almost forgot, he went online and picked up his duck stamp after dinner. Can’t go without that.
      1-Don't forget he needs to get a HIP number. (Simple phone call)

2- If all other waterfowl seasons are closed you don't need to plug the gun.
      Last edited by Danbo; 09-16-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

Don't forget he needs to get a HIP number.
        Thanks, he did that first. We always register before grouse season opens since woodcock are always around. He remembered before I did.

Comment

Goose hunting has been excellent this year he should have fun.

Comment

Goose hunting has been excellent this year he should have fun.
            Hoping so.

And thanks as well about #2, I wasn’t sure about that and we almost looked it up. Figured since the barrel was off I’d just get it done, it’s likely he’ll hunt ducks with his friend later this season. I had to cut the plug down to the right size, fortunately we got it right the first try. I suppose having it plugged might cost him some opportunities but since it’s his first time and he has limited ammo he’ll likely pick his shots carefully.

Comment

Good luck to him. Maybe your next food thread can be goose recipes. (Goose burgers? Maybe not.)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F44A4FAC-EE7D-43FE-8377-79D8C394F393.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	780568

I don’t have a lot of details yet, just a quick call and a text.

Birds weren’t committing to the decoys well but 5 guys killed 9 geese, he took his first two. He left the house at 3am to meet the others.

Big school rivalry football game today, he’s doing game film and I’m headed in now. Post up whatever I can later.

Name:	BFD342E5-476C-465C-9D13-E07DCE94BF1A.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	780567

Comment

Awesome!
                  I'm excited and I wasn't even there! LOL!

Comment

Name:	F44A4FAC-EE7D-43FE-8377-79D8C394F393.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	780568

I don’t have a lot of details yet, just a quick call and a text.

Birds weren’t committing to the decoys well but 5 guys killed 9 geese, he took his first two. He left the house at 3am to meet the others.

Big school rivalry football game today, he’s doing game film and I’m headed in now. Post up whatever I can later.

Name:	BFD342E5-476C-465C-9D13-E07DCE94BF1A.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	780567

Congratulations to your son, thanks for sharing the pictures.

Comment

Congratulations to your son, thanks for sharing the pictures.
                      He had a ball. Doesn’t hurt that this was also his first hunting experience outside of family.

I’ve mentioned he’s a senior, he played ball with his buddy a couple years until the guy graduated in 2020. The other three dudes are college age or just older so between hanging with them and his two college classes I’m sure he’s feeling like he’s coming into his own. Bittersweet for me.

Comment

A few more details.

They got set up well before shooting hours but weren’t the only ones using the field. The other guys showed up after they had and were setting up adjacent when they realized they weren’t alone either. The other group moved over a bit so everyone was safe.

When the geese started coming in the guys figured out there was something about the setup the birds didn’t like. They’d circle several times and still pull up short when they did drop in. The season has been open a couple weeks so they’ve probably been shot at some as well. Invariably the other group ended up with second chances if the birds broke off early or simply headed that way after the guns started going off. The Kid left the full choke in the truck and wished he hadn’t, the guy having the best shooting had an older gun with a fixed full choke. Still, of the nine birds they killed only three needed finishing. They kept track best they could, when the shooting started it was an all hands on deck deal, hard to tell how many birds had hits from multiple guns.

We’ll brine half of what he brought home and make jerky in the smoker. Not sure yet what we’ll do with the other.

He’s hoping to go again next Saturday, last day of the early season.

Comment

He had a ball. Doesn’t hurt that this was also his first hunting experience outside of family.

I’ve mentioned he’s a senior, he played ball with his buddy a couple years until the guy graduated in 2020. The other three dudes are college age or just older so between hanging with them and his two college classes I’m sure he’s feeling like he’s coming into his own. Bittersweet for me.
                          I understand that , i have two all grown up and on their own.

Comment

A few more details.

They got set up well before shooting hours but weren’t the only ones using the field. The other guys showed up after they had and were setting up adjacent when they realized they weren’t alone either. The other group moved over a bit so everyone was safe.

When the geese started coming in the guys figured out there was something about the setup the birds didn’t like. They’d circle several times and still pull up short when they did drop in. The season has been open a couple weeks so they’ve probably been shot at some as well. Invariably the other group ended up with second chances if the birds broke off early or simply headed that way after the guns started going off. The Kid left the full choke in the truck and wished he hadn’t, the guy having the best shooting had an older gun with a fixed full choke. Still, of the nine birds they killed only three needed finishing. They kept track best they could, when the shooting started it was an all hands on deck deal, hard to tell how many birds had hits from multiple guns.

We’ll brine half of what he brought home and make jerky in the smoker. Not sure yet what we’ll do with the other.

He’s hoping to go again next Saturday, last day of the early season.
                            Pulled goose is excellent. I have had goose stew and it was also very good .

Comment

Very happy for him-Firsts are important!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad