Really odd event.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really odd event.

1) Guy across the road has a quarter section (160 acres) that he plants in wheat for pasture every fall.
    2) We have a resident population of Canadian geese that summer over here.

The last month, guy across the road has been prepping his land to sow. Planting season is right around the corner.
    The first plowing leaves the soil pretty rough and clumpy. The second plowing leaves the soil smoother and more broken up.

In the fall, before he turns his calves in on the wheat, the geese come in in droves!
    .....but this is late August, it's hotter than blue blazes and those stupid geese are piling into that freshly (Saturday) plowed field like it's ankle deep in fresh wheat.

What could be on/in that freshly plowed dirt that would attract geese?
    ....and they normally fly in about mid afternoon during the heat of the day!

Is there manure
    in the field?

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post
      Is there manure
      in the field?
      No sir. There hasn't been livestock on the field since back in April or May. So nothing fresh. Not in a quantity that would attract geese.
      There are probably two or three hundred geese in the flock and they'll stay for a couple of hours.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

No sir. There hasn't been livestock on the field since back in April or May. So nothing fresh. Not in a quantity that would attract geese.
        There are probably two or three hundred geese in the flock and they'll stay for a couple of hours.
        I wasn't sure if the farmer spreads manure before planting.
        He must've put something down to attract them.

You need to get one to examine it's stomach content πŸ™ƒ

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

I wasn't sure if the farmer spreads manure before planting.
          He must've put something down to attract them.

You need to get one to examine it's stomach content πŸ™ƒ
          SOP around here is to "put down" anhydrous ammonia.
          I'll break out my "Freshly Plowed" camo so I can hide in a bald, open field.
          Maybe they're "chemically dependent" and they're snorting the anhydrous! 🀣!

Comment

Are you seeing them actually eating something? I was thinking, since it's hot weather, the dirt is probably dry shortly after plowing. Do geese "dust" themselves like grouse and turkeys?

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
              Are you seeing them actually eating something? I was thinking, since it's hot weather, the dirt is probably dry shortly after plowing. Do geese "dust" themselves like grouse and turkeys?
              I'm not actually seeing them do anything, but you can see their silhouettes on the skyline and here their incessant gabbling.
              ...and you may be right. They may be "dusting".

Comment

Are there any small gravel or rocks in the field? Geese, and other birds, ingest rocks into their craw to start the digestive process, and when they find a "rock bed" they like, will return to it in preference to all others,

Comment

Would there be any worms ? Tubers or seeds from weeds ? Or, they just like the open, safe area to rest. Usually post two sentries when they do rest. I had a house on a Lake and the Geese would gome on to eat the grass seeds when I let it grow to seed. Posted sentries then they all took a long nap.
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 08-31-2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                    Are there any small gravel or rocks in the field? Geese, and other birds, ingest rocks into their craw to start the digestive process, and when they find a "rock bed" they like, will return to it in preference to all others,
                    Definite possibility, '06.
                    I've never been up to that spot, so I can't say.

It's hard red clay, not much grows up there. It's kept plowed enough, Johnson grass won't grow.
                    There "could" be some low growing grass or forbe that might interest them.

It is definitely a wide open space. I don't think a June bug could slip up.on them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad