How's the turkey season going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's the turkey season going?

Haven't even SEEN a bird here in SW Okla!
    Anybody else having any luck?

Youth weekend is April 24’th & 25’th, the red dot on my daughter’s 500 is dialed in with Federal Heavyweight #7’s this year.

We still haven’t hung cameras but we know where to be if not what’s hanging around.

Saw three sets of birds today, first was a tom strutting for 4 hens, then a pair with 6-8 hens and finally 3 on display for another 6-8 hens. On my way back in one of the three of the last group could have ended up roadkill, I about stopped to let it cross back to the others. Question is, why did the turkey cross the road? Lol.

You going to be able to get out FB?

Comment

No sir, fitch270!
      If there was enough bird activity, I might think it worth a chance. As it is, I think it's best to just sit back and bide my time.
      I'd love to be set up and watch the world wake up from inside a blind, but with little to no chance of a sighting, I'll just sob and wait! 😥!

Sounds like your birds are in "transition 2". By the time youth season opens, the tom's ought to "hot to trot"!
      Best wishes to the 'Lil Ms Fitch"!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DF777719-197B-4A37-882F-A6755EC58093.png
Views:	84
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	770419

Couple pics from last week, same group of birds but they moved into the woods as I got closer.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	5A09C4F3-B7F9-4671-9C61-EEA404897549.png
Views:	88
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	770418

Comment

If they were doing this a week ago, they won't be in that phase and will be transitioning to phase 3 within a week.
          That ought to put "Li'l Miss" in the drivers seat. 👀🤞
          The kid may have to play second fiddle this spring! LOL!

Comment

I've seen no birds or sign in the woods I actually hunt, but haven't really roamed around much -- still got until May 1st before opener. Heading up some night this week after work to see if the wild leeks are up yet, and do a little scouting.

Overall, I'd say the area has good numbers this year. Driving around this weekend, fishing the streams, there were bunches of turkeys all over the place.

And holy cow, the deer! Counted 31 at dusk yesterday, in one small field right outside of town. At least a dozen more in each of the next couple fields, in about a one-mile stretch. Driving the fifteen to twenty miles home from the river each night, Friday through last night, I saw no fewer than sixty or eighty total each night, and definitely over a hundred total on Friday. I guess they're real hungry after chewing spruce needles all winter.
            Last edited by MattM37; 04-13-2021, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
              I've seen no birds or sign in the woods I actually hunt, but haven't really roamed around much -- still got until May 1st before opener. Heading up some night this week after work to see if the wild leeks are up yet, and do a little scouting.

Overall, I'd say the area has good numbers this year. Driving around this weekend, fishing the streams, there were bunches of turkeys all over the place.

And holy cow, the deer! Counted 31 at dusk yesterday, in one small field right outside of town. At least a dozen more in each of the next couple fields, in about a one-mile stretch. Driving the fifteen to twenty miles home from the river each night, Friday through last night, I saw no fewer than sixty or eighty total each night, and definitely over a hundred total on Friday. I guess they're real hungry after chewing spruce needles all winter.
              I've found birds and sign on a few state forests. Going down there this weekend to scout. Now if they would just hang around until May.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                No sir, fitch270!
                If there was enough bird activity, I might think it worth a chance. As it is, I think it's best to just sit back and bide my time.
                I'd love to be set up and watch the world wake up from inside a blind, but with little to no chance of a sighting, I'll just sob and wait! 😥!

Sounds like your birds are in "transition 2". By the time youth season opens, the tom's ought to "hot to trot"!
                Best wishes to the 'Lil Ms Fitch"!
                Just because you're not seeing them doesn't mean they're not there.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

I've found birds and sign on a few state forests. Going down there this weekend to scout. Now if they would just hang around until May.

I notice we had some early blackflies on those warm days last week. Be nice if they'd run their course and be gone before turkey season, but when has that ever happened? Pray for cold mornings!

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

Just because you're not seeing them doesn't mean they're not there.
                    That's true danbo, but this keeps me from taking the chance to go and see other than just drive around and look!

Name:	20210407_203826.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	770447
                    Doctor's exact words!
                    "Not one ounce of weight on that foot for 6 months!"
                    I'm just not willing to chance it.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

That's true danbo, but this keeps me from taking the chance to go and see other than just drive around and look!

Name:	20210407_203826.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	770447
                      Doctor's exact words!
                      "Not one ounce of weight on that foot for 6 months!"
                      I'm just not willing to chance it.
                      That's the worst case of Covid 19 I've ever seen.

Comment

Name:	turkey strut 002.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	640.6 KB
ID:	770529 Click image for larger version

Name:	turkey strut 003.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	954.1 KB
ID:	770530 A friend in NY was scouting in his usual place and all he saw was 3 hens.
                        Last edited by jhjimbo; 04-15-2021, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Name:	turkey strut 002.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	640.6 KB
ID:	770529 Click image for larger version

Name:	turkey strut 003.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	954.1 KB
ID:	770530 A friend in NY was scouting in his usual place and all he saw was 3 hens.
                          Three "hens"?
                          Two are apparently "bearded hens".
                          I've taken one bearded hen, but it was in the fall season.

Comment

I haven't gone turkey hunting. Instead, I'm rebuilding our privacy fence, planting azaleas, and transplanting bamboo. This will increase our privacy and add value when we eventually sell the house.

Comment

Can’t make out a beard on that third one but they all look like redheads to me. Either older jakes or younger 2 year olds would be my guess.

I’ve heard of guys hunting close to deer crossing signs in the Adirondacks but never knew anyone whose usual turkey spot was a mowed intersection, lol.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
                                by rock rat
                                Money in politics is a Republican issue, remember Citizens United? Free speech man!. So make campaign contributions illegal. Most contributors of even...
                                Today, 09:43 AM
                              • Trump
                                by Danbo
                                https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                                04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Politics has become a total money issue. The ‘dark money’ that was spent on the biden election was in the hundreds of millions of dollars ! The dimwits...
                                Today, 08:45 AM
                              • Reply to Keepsakes
                                by PigHunter
                                I have old stuff not considered keepsakes. So I won't list them.

Keepsakes related to the Outdoors:
                                > Dad's squirrel rifle, a Winchester...
                                Today, 08:18 AM
                              • Keepsakes
                                by MattM37
                                Other than the obvious mounts and such, what have you kept for keepsakes over the years?

I have my dad's old pocketknife, the blade honed...
                                Yesterday, 07:56 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X