Bird hunting on horseback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird hunting on horseback?

Been thinking about taking my Palomino out to hunt pheasants and was wondering if anyone else has any tips. He doesn't spook easily and has great stamina but I'm curious if he'll scare them off.

Originally posted by WhitePaddington View Post
    Been thinking about taking my Palomino out to hunt pheasants and was wondering if anyone else has any tips. He doesn't spook easily and has great stamina but I'm curious if he'll scare them off.
    A noble yet dangerous activity, indeed!

From past experience.
    The horse itself won't spook the birds.
    Shooting at the birds will spook the horse.

Go to a tack/saddle shop and get you a good, stout, nylon halter.
    Also purchase a stout 6 to 8 foot nylon lead line.
    Put the halter on over the bridle, attach the lead rope with a good stout snap.
    When the dog points.Dismount, tie your horse to something big and stout and go flush your birds.

DO NOT shoot over the horses head!

Comment

If youre hunting on horseback and prefer third person, getting your reticle on birds that are increasing altitude directly above is a hassle at times. The camera angle will move more so due to the decreased flexibility that comes with aiming while mounted. snaptube vidmate word to pdf
      Last edited by adomanim1; 11-19-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 2020 Deer season. Quick rundown
        by dewman
        All right PH! Living up to your avatar. Meat in the freezer. Looks like a good eating size. Christmas ham .🐗👀⚡️=🍖&🥓
        Today, 06:52 PM
      • 2020 Deer season. Quick rundown
        by dewman
        opening morning I was in the woods atop a ridge where thicket grew along a fence. Around 7:30 a doe came jogging by at maybe 50yds followed by a year...
        11-26-2020, 09:14 AM
      • Reply to Voter Fraud
        by 99explorer
        Bubba -
        Using your line of reasoning, unless medical examiners have autopsied every single solitary death, there is absolutely no certainty that
        Today, 06:29 PM
      • Voter Fraud
        by bowhunter75richard
        For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
        11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
      • Reply to Voter Fraud
        by FirstBubba
        Unless Medical Examiners have autopsied every single solitary COVID-19 death, there is absolutely NO certainty that any of the 200k plus deaths can actually...
        Today, 05:43 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X