X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do turkey decoys really work?

Check out this one.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/video...-turkey-decoy/

I've seen this as strategy. Guys put a fan or decoy out in front of them and stalk up on them. Seems to work pretty good so long as you crawl low enough to mostly block your profile

https://youtu.be/v_UCOVXvEyU

Comment

Decoys work in the right situations but that crawling with a decoy works better on other Turkey hunters!

Comment

I've tried both, and so far, not using decoys has worked the best for me. I walk around and call, when I get an answer I quickly (and quietly) get into a good position sitting with my back against a tree, and then work them in with calls. This has been the most effective way for me so far. When I use decoys, they spot the decoy and keep a distance, it's not like the hunting shows where they come in and attack the decoys. I'm not sure if the decoys I've gotten are crap, but that's how it's been 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 every time.
        Last edited by adomanim1; 08-17-2022, 05:38 PM.

Comment

There is a bldg. with ground level window. Every day a Tom would look at his reflection in the window - maybe trying to drive it away ?
          I see Turkey when Deer hunting and Deer when I am Turkey hunting. Same for Coyotes.

Comment

Decoys work.
            Wont use a fan and stalk, safety reasons. Private ground aint always private.

Ive killed birds w and wo dekes.
            FWIW when a bird comes in and sees my deke, i wont make another call.

IMHO if the sound aint comin from the deke itll spook em.

Even w no deke, when I see the bird I shut up.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad