Season over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season over

We finished it out the way most of the season went, had enough contact to keep it interesting but couldn't close the deal.

Yesterday we decided to sleep in a little since we hadn't had much early activity recently. The girl and I split up from the boy and were set up about 7am. We gave it about a half hour and decided to make a move, of course we get busted just as we get to the field edge. Looked like both a pair of toms and hens, they didn't actually catch us but the 15-20 crows around them had lookouts who did. When the crows scattered the turkeys kind of drifted up into the woods and never responded. Took a break mid morning then went back up for the last hour to nothing.

Figured the best bet was to get back up to the big meadow earlier this morning on the chance that the turkeys would be back. It almost worked. We were sitting a bit after sunrise and I'd called lightly just a couple times about 20 minutes apart. We were tucked back into a tree with some now greened up brush to both sides. All at once my daughter's eyes get real big, just as I hear a couple clucks. Through the brush I can make out 2 birds with red heads at about 20 yards. Unfortunately they're to my right and I'm on her right. I never make out beards but it doesn't matter, they turn and head back down the way they'd come from clucking the whole time. Only thing I can figure is they didn't see what they wanted and bailed out. Gave it some time then headed down for egg sandwiches and church. Afterwards the three of us sat close for the final hour. Nothing. At 11:59 I called it a season and we got up. Fittingly, we made it about 50 yards just to push a hen out of the meadow another 50 yards out in front. We did walk up on one single deer, then another pair on our way up in so hopefully that bodes well for the fall.

All in all it was a decent season, we hunted a bunch entirely on our hill and had birds around most of the time. My daughter had a shot and he boy took his first on his own. Could be a couple smart 3 year olds up there next spring, and should be a bunch of birds if the hens have decent hatches this year. We know there were some jakes around at some point, hopefully they'll show again as well.

Glad you guys got one for the table w extra memories to go around.
    Keep those kids fired up for next year

I'm still in "new turkey gun" mode. Can't find the bbl I want, discontinued.

Comment

I also called in a bird yesterday he came in about 25 yards. I had to let him go I couldn't see his beard through the leaves and he has to have a beard. So he walked out of my lifeπŸ™ He never gobbled.

This has been my toughest Turkey season in years i only heard 2 gobbles all season
      Hikers and hunters everywhere dumb shutdown.

On the bright side my daughter came a couple times and carried her own gun but wasn't sure she could kill a animal. She went and had a gun so she is obviously open to the idea. If she doesn't want to that's ok too.
      Also I explored more areas on public than I would have.

Another thing that didn't occur to me until yesterday is running and gunning doesn't work if their not gobbling.

Congratulations to your son fitch

Comment

Glad your son got one. Hoping the turkeys have a good year and lots around next spring. Maybe I'll make it back. Any chance anyone will make it out here for fishing this year?

Comment

"... the best laid plans of mice and men ..."

You guys had more action in one day than I had all season! LOL!
          I DID get to see one tom strut and gobble about 100 yards away.
          That's ALMOST as good as shooting one because I knew he was responding to my calls.

Gotta love them "thunder chickens"!

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
            Glad your son got one. Hoping the turkeys have a good year and lots around next spring. Maybe I'll make it back. Any chance anyone will make it out here for fishing this year?

Fishing trip hasn't come up in conversation lately, but you never know with my FIL. At some point we should give it one last shot but reassuring the wives will be the hard part. If it happens you'll hear about it for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              We finished it out the way most of the season went, had enough contact to keep it interesting but couldn't close the deal.

Yesterday we decided to sleep in a little since we hadn't had much early activity recently. The girl and I split up from the boy and were set up about 7am. We gave it about a half hour and decided to make a move, of course we get busted just as we get to the field edge. Looked like both a pair of toms and hens, they didn't actually catch us but the 15-20 crows around them had lookouts who did. When the crows scattered the turkeys kind of drifted up into the woods and never responded. Took a break mid morning then went back up for the last hour to nothing.

Figured the best bet was to get back up to the big meadow earlier this morning on the chance that the turkeys would be back. It almost worked. We were sitting a bit after sunrise and I'd called lightly just a couple times about 20 minutes apart. We were tucked back into a tree with some now greened up brush to both sides. All at once my daughter's eyes get real big, just as I hear a couple clucks. Through the brush I can make out 2 birds with red heads at about 20 yards. Unfortunately they're to my right and I'm on her right. I never make out beards but it doesn't matter, they turn and head back down the way they'd come from clucking the whole time. Only thing I can figure is they didn't see what they wanted and bailed out. Gave it some time then headed down for egg sandwiches and church. Afterwards the three of us sat close for the final hour. Nothing. At 11:59 I called it a season and we got up. Fittingly, we made it about 50 yards just to push a hen out of the meadow another 50 yards out in front. We did walk up on one single deer, then another pair on our way up in so hopefully that bodes well for the fall.

All in all it was a decent season, we hunted a bunch entirely on our hill and had birds around most of the time. My daughter had a shot and he boy took his first on his own. Could be a couple smart 3 year olds up there next spring, and should be a bunch of birds if the hens have decent hatches this year. We know there were some jakes around at some point, hopefully they'll show again as well.
              Fun was had by all, maybe the turkeys enjoyed it more than the Fitch family did 😏
              Wait until next year, you sound like a Cubs fan 🍻

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                Glad you guys got one for the table w extra memories to go around.
                Keep those kids fired up for next year

I'm still in "new turkey gun" mode. Can't find the bbl I want, discontinued.
                CD:
                What barrel you looking for ?
                Two gun/sporting goods places here that take a lot of stuff in trade or from estates.
                I can ask.

Comment

Im looking for the 23" rifle sight remchoke bbl. Is 3.5 chamber.

Looked at an 870 tactical. Was not bad but a wee bit off on remchoke at the muzzle.

My 1100 and 870 have perfectly done Remchokes.

Comment

Got it, will ask around.

Comment

Looked like both a pair of toms and hens, they didn't actually catch us but the 15-20 crows around them had lookouts who did. When the crows scattered the turkeys kind of drifted up into the woods and never responded. Took a break mid morning then went back up for the last hour to nothing. Speed Test
                      Last edited by EVAKATY75; 01-26-2021, 02:13 AM.

Comment

I’m suing for plagiarism.

Edit from Eva forthcoming.......

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                          I’m suing for plagiarism.

Edit from Eva forthcoming.......
                          Speaking of "thunder chickens"!
                          On the way to Kingsville, TX last Wednesday when we spotted a HUGE gobbler standing in the ditch!
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20210120_125305.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	766534
                          I can't believe stood that close to the road as we drove by!
                          The kid said, "Dad, get ready!" and rolled my window down. I took 4 shots as we sped by! ONE had this shot in it! LOL!

On the way back home, this big boy was STILL standing in the ditch!

Name:	20210120_125728.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	920.8 KB
ID:	766535 ...with his buddies across the fence! Click image for larger version

Name:	20210120_125519.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	651.4 KB
ID:	766536 Talk about getting your blood boiling! Every one a tom!

"Blondie" is ready if Briley falls through!
                          Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'm gonna kill a turkey with a .410 and #9's even if it kills s3! πŸ˜€!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Speaking of "thunder chickens"!
                            On the way to Kingsville, TX last Wednesday when we spotted a HUGE gobbler standing in the ditch!

Name:	20210120_125305.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	766534
                            I can't believe stood that close to the road as we drove by!
                            The kid said, "Dad, get ready!" and rolled my window down. I took 4 shots as we sped by! ONE had this shot in it! LOL!

On the way back home, this big boy was STILL standing in the ditch!

Name:	20210120_125728.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	920.8 KB
ID:	766535 ...with his buddies across the fence! Click image for larger version

Name:	20210120_125519.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	651.4 KB
ID:	766536 Talk about getting your blood boiling! Every one a tom!

"Blondie" is ready if Briley falls through!
                            Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'm gonna kill a turkey with a .410 and #9's even if it kills s3! πŸ˜€!
                            Funny, when you said "shots" obviously meaning photos, I envisioned you hanging out the window of a pickup, blasting away with a shotgun at 50mph. Didn't really think that of you, of course -- just a vision I had, good for a chuckle. I can just see you now, though, the main feature on the show "Lone Star Law." Be a welcome bit of action, in my opinion; that show needs some livening up.

Comment

"... Errant turkey executioner nabbed in roadside slaughter case! ..."

MattM37,
                              I was told this story by a friend (rest his soul) long ago.
                              He had a scholarship to play football at Texas A&I (actually a Texas A&M branch now) in the early 60's.
                              As college students are oft want to do, they were riding around the countryside, exhibiting their testosterone levels, drinking beer.
                              The driver of the convertible pointed to a bunch of turkeys beside the road.
                              He had already noted the ball peen hammer laying between his feet. So he picked it up and hurled it at the flock, killing a hen!
                              He was a pretty fair cook. He and his roommate ate well for a day or two! LOL!

I cannot verify the veracity of the story, only relate it here as it was related to me!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad