Son of a Fitch; solo shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son of a Fitch; solo shot

The kid hit a homerun, first kill of his own doing. Took this bird about 11:30 this morning.

I’ll back up, he’s been working them on and off all week with mixed results. Mostly quiet early with some action later in the mornings. Yesterday he went up at dawn, my daughter and I about 7:30. About 8:45 I got a response and worked that tom for close to an hour but couldn’t get him to budge. This morning we all went up around 7:00, just before we met up to head down he spotted a hen over the line. She just stood on a log watching us for close to 10 minutes. We headed down to eat and for “church” online.

The service wrapped up about 10:45, the kid got his gear and headed back up without saying anything. I’d started moving some dirt around the place yesterday afternoon and had wanted to work on that a little more. Just after 11:30 my wife comes around the corner and motions like she’s shooting. I stop what I’m doing, tell her I’m headed up and she should get the buggy.

I get up near the blind and he’s over to the right holding his tom. Big grin and a look of disbelief at the same time. The switch had flipped on the birds.

When he got up to the flat by the blind he let out a couple yelps like I do. It’s a good spot to try and get a fix on birds before blundering into them, if they aren’t already there. No reaction to the first couple but after a long pause he tries again and a hen answers. He yelps back and she answers again, sounding fairly close. He immediately parks his butt by the nearest decent tree and calls again. She hits back, and then a tom fires off. Now he realizes he’s boxed himself in the brush without being able to cover the open area. He moves to a better position, calls again to which both the Tom and hen respond, followed by two more gobbles up the line. Next thing he knows two hens pop out right in front, with the tom up on a little rise to his right gobbling and strutting where he can’t get a shot. Meantime the other gobblers are hammering in the woods above them. At one point he counts six birds and thinks there may have been more. It looked like the closest tom was going to come around hard to his right where he couldn’t get a shot off, then it spun again and circled down around in front. He had one apple tree between them, as the bird walked behind it he pulled the gun up and gave out a couple clucks when it stepped back out. The tom was headed for the hens and never broke stride, kid popped him on the move at about 25 yards. The rest of the birds ran for the woods, the other toms shock gobbling at the report. They stayed up there firing off a few more times.

I’m kind of disappointed I didn’t go up with my daughter, last two times I didn’t even bring my gun. On the other hand the boy’s been at it hard and deserved the opportunity as well, the girl has had the last two shots when we’ve been together. Proud of the kid, but at the same time getting a bit of that “empty nest” feeling. I’d like to think I’ve taught him everything he knows but the fact is he’s probably ahead of me already.

Edit to add: I forgot the stats😖.

Not a heavy bird at 15 lbs but he did have a thin 9 1/4” beard and 1/2” spurs. This was definitely the smallest of the three amigos, my guess is he’s from a late hatch in 2018.
    Last edited by fitch270; 05-24-2020, 04:16 PM.

HOO-RAH!!!!
    That is beyond awesome!
    Congrats to the kid!
    I can only imagine the pride you must be feeling.
    Weight? Good eating.
    Beard? He ain't a jake (yearling)
    Spurs? Good enough!

He's what I'd call a "satellite" tom. He was hanging out in the vicinity of the big boys hoping to pick up the occasional stray hen.

That's a great hunt and great story.

Every now and then, everything comes together! What a joy!

p.s. - sounds about right for a 2 year old.
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 05-24-2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Congratulations to that young man, getting done on his own! I know your proud of him Fitch.

Comment

Thanks guys. It’s been expected but still, they grow up too fast.
        Plus side is he did 95% of getting it broke down.

FB, he saved a wing. I’ll supervise but otherwise he’s on his own.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          Thanks guys. It’s been expected but still, they grow up too fast.
          Plus side is he did 95% of getting it broke down.

FB, he saved a wing. I’ll supervise but otherwise he’s on his own.
          If I can be any help, just let me know.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D07B78AD-54BC-46EE-B4B7-FB188A05516F.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	734219 I posted this picture earlier this spring, the center bird is the one he took. One of the other two is the bird my daughter hit youth weekend. Not sure from the photo which one but both are still up there.

Comment

Congratulations to your son.

Comment

Great job! Wish I could have been there. Next year I hope. Great write up from Dad. Better save it.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  The kid hit a homerun, first kill of his own doing. Took this bird about 11:30 this morning.

I’ll back up, he’s been working them on and off all week with mixed results. Mostly quiet early with some action later in the mornings. Yesterday he went up at dawn, my daughter and I about 7:30. About 8:45 I got a response and worked that tom for close to an hour but couldn’t get him to budge. This morning we all went up around 7:00, just before we met up to head down he spotted a hen over the line. She just stood on a log watching us for close to 10 minutes. We headed down to eat and for “church” online.

The service wrapped up about 10:45, the kid got his gear and headed back up without saying anything. I’d started moving some dirt around the place yesterday afternoon and had wanted to work on that a little more. Just after 11:30 my wife comes around the corner and motions like she’s shooting. I stop what I’m doing, tell her I’m headed up and she should get the buggy.

I get up near the blind and he’s over to the right holding his tom. Big grin and a look of disbelief at the same time. The switch had flipped on the birds.

When he got up to the flat by the blind he let out a couple yelps like I do. It’s a good spot to try and get a fix on birds before blundering into them, if they aren’t already there. No reaction to the first couple but after a long pause he tries again and a hen answers. He yelps back and she answers again, sounding fairly close. He immediately parks his butt by the nearest decent tree and calls again. She hits back, and then a tom fires off. Now he realizes he’s boxed himself in the brush without being able to cover the open area. He moves to a better position, calls again to which both the Tom and hen respond, followed by two more gobbles up the line. Next thing he knows two hens pop out right in front, with the tom up on a little rise to his right gobbling and strutting where he can’t get a shot. Meantime the other gobblers are hammering in the woods above them. At one point he counts six birds and thinks there may have been more. It looked like the closest tom was going to come around hard to his right where he couldn’t get a shot off, then it spun again and circled down around in front. He had one apple tree between them, as the bird walked behind it he pulled the gun up and gave out a couple clucks when it stepped back out. The tom was headed for the hens and never broke stride, kid popped him on the move at about 25 yards. The rest of the birds ran for the woods, the other toms shock gobbling at the report. They stayed up there firing off a few more times.

I’m kind of disappointed I didn’t go up with my daughter, last two times I didn’t even bring my gun. On the other hand the boy’s been at it hard and deserved the opportunity as well, the girl has had the last two shots when we’ve been together. Proud of the kid, but at the same time getting a bit of that “empty nest” feeling. I’d like to think I’ve taught him everything he knows but the fact is he’s probably ahead of me already.

Edit to add: I forgot the stats😖.

Not a heavy bird at 15 lbs but he did have a thin 9 1/4” beard and 1/2” spurs. This was definitely the smallest of the three amigos, my guess is he’s from a late hatch in 2018.
                  Sorry Fitch, I had missed this. Congrats to young Fitch !
                  I can't tell from the photo, what gun was he using ?
                  Enjoy the feast!!

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Sorry Fitch, I had missed this. Congrats to young Fitch !
                    I can't tell from the photo, what gun was he using ?
                    Enjoy the feast!!
                    Same Mossberg 500 he's used for 5 seasons now, 4-4 with his and 1-2 for my daughter and hers. I asked if he wants the adult stock for it, he's okay with leaving it as is for turkey so I think it's going to be a dedicated turkey gun from now on. Time for another upland rig.

Comment

I’ll back up, he’s been working them on and off all week with mixed results. Mostly quiet early with some action later in the mornings. Yesterday he went up at dawn, my daughter and I about 7:30. About 8:45 I got a response and worked that tom for close to an hour but couldn’t get him to budge. This morning we all went up around 7:00, just before we met up to head down he spotted a hen over the line. She just stood on a log watching us for close to 10 minutes. We headed down to eat and for “church” online. Kodi nox
                      Last edited by ADYLATYSA; 07-24-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad