She’s ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She’s ready

My daughter is getting her game face on for next weekend, NY’s youth turkey hunt. We just checked zero on her red dot and she’s dialed in. Shot twice at twenty yards, made a slight adjustment left, then one more at twenty followed by another at 25. Pattern looks good. Load is Remington Pheasant, 1oz #6 out of a 20ga Mossberg 500 with the factory full choke.

Now I just need to pull a bird in.

Good luck next weekend!

No youth for me to take out this year!

Comment

I haven't been out in a week.
      It's tough down here.
      Planning on trying a couple of times this coming week.
      Season ends May 6th.

Good luck with the girl.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Cameras are showing the birds are breaking up but still around. Weather forecast isn't bad at this point, about 30* both mornings. Partly cloudy Saturday, maybe some rain Sunday. It will probably change though. Might spit some snow Tuesday so hopefully that will move through and be done.

Comment

Good luck!
          Just checked my local deer spot. Turkeys seen next door.
          Zero sign on my side. No woodchucks either. Did find three snake head mushrooms.
          Tiny.

Season open here. If I'm bored and can't sleep, may drive 3 hrs one way in morning.

Comment

Our season ends May 3rd. So far I've been to worn out to get up early enough. Perhaps I'll go Sunday morning

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              Our season ends May 3rd. So far I've been to worn out to get up early enough. Perhaps I'll go Sunday morning
              Had everything set up and a plan in mind. Wake up at 5AM, drink coffee and be in my "hide" before 6:00AM.
              Rolled over in a stupor and checked the time.
              Rats! 5:42AM!!!
              Heck, it's 20 miles to the area then a 15 minute walk to the "hide".

Oh well! I'll try again in the morning.
              Our season closes May 6th.
              I DID get 2 birds to gobble back and I DID at least get to see one of them.

fitch270, If your birds are as far along in transition as the birds here, hunting is gonna be tough!
              Best of luck to you and "the girl"!

Comment

Couple guys at work have been hearing toms gobble early the past few mornings. The weather looks good tomorrow, low thirties overnight but warming up into the fifties and mostly sunny. Just how I like it. Last couple weeks have been lousy, cold rain and snow on and off with almost constant wind. Birds are around, even if they don't come running right in we should still at least get a look but I have a feeling we're going to have some action.

One way or another y'all know you'll get a report.

Comment

Good luck your going to have good morning!

Comment

Good luck for your next trail.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                      My daughter is getting her game face on for next weekend, NY’s youth turkey hunt. We just checked zero on her red dot and she’s dialed in. Shot twice at twenty yards, made a slight adjustment left, then one more at twenty followed by another at 25. Pattern looks good. Load is Remington Pheasant, 1oz #6 out of a 20ga Mossberg 500 with the factory full choke.

Now I just need to pull a bird in.
                      Hi, to me the pattern is too open, especially for 25yds. . No brain hit and it looks like maybe one spine hit. Can the gun have a better choke ? Click image for larger version  Name:	shotgun pattern 31yds 003.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	737082Click image for larger version  Name:	pattern weatherby 9 14 002.JPG Views:	0 Size:	922.1 KB ID:	737083The brown is my Browning BPS with Browning Turkey choke. I believe I was shooting Remington duplex loads.
                      The white is my Weatherby o/u at about 40 yds. The one on the right is where I aim - I put the red right on the start of the neck. Jim
                      Last edited by jhjimbo; 06-24-2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma
                        by rock rat
                        OK Angus, you got me there. No argument about the schools.

"​​​​​​government run daycare that teaches kids what to think...
                        Today, 09:35 PM
                      • Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma
                        by rock rat
                        A little mentioned ballot measure passed in Oklahoma. Medicaid Expansion as it's called.

I've forgotten the details, and apologies if I...
                        07-01-2020, 11:02 PM
                      • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                        by rock rat
                        CRM what you say makes a lot of sense, and the number of tests has doubled in 21 days as have the number of people testing positive. There's one more...
                        Today, 09:26 PM
                      • Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        New cases and hospitalizations ballooned this week in several states including Texas, Oklahoma, California, and Mississippi. Hospitals in Houston are...
                        06-24-2020, 08:09 PM
                      • Reply to Either Way...
                        by fitch270
                        We've been keeping a better inventory on things and have whittled down on "old stock" that's been sitting on the pantry shelves and in the freezer....
                        Today, 09:17 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X