Turkey bait pile? Not exactly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey bait pile? Not exactly

Took these in my travels yesterday, there were some nice toms mixed in. I’m just glad by the time turkey season gets here they’ve been off this “feed” for awhile. We’ve had a mild winter thus far but they still hit the easy stuff when it’s available. Birds should be in good shape.

OK game laws forbid hunting within 100 yards of a "feeder".
    TX laws allow hunting feeders. While not suggested, it isnt expressly forbidden like in OK.
    This time of year, there are no crops other than green wheat fields to attract them.
    What I ALWAYS look for is some farmer who has stacked wheat hay to feed through the winter.
    There is enough wheat that it draws both turkeys and hogs.
    As a stored feed stuff in an agricultural pursuit, you CAN hunt around them.

The turkeys pictured are still in "winter mode".
    I'm hoping this mild (for down here!) winter doesn't throw OK turkeys into their rut before Apr 6th! Click image for larger version

Name:	100E0884.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	724106

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      Took these in my travels yesterday, there were some nice toms mixed in. I’m just glad by the time turkey season gets here they’ve been off this “feed” for awhile. We’ve had a mild winter thus far but they still hit the easy stuff when it’s available. Birds should be in good shape.
      Thanks for sharing I can’t wait till May 1st

Comment

For those that aren’t aware the birds were picking through after a manure spreader unloaded. Nasty, but chickens are just as bad.

Comment

For those that aren’t aware the birds were picking through after a manure spreader unloaded. Nasty, but chickens are just as bad.
          I knew what they were doing ,they gotta survive

Comment

I'd rather shoot a turkey following a manure spreader than take a chance on what a feral hog has been eating! LOL!

We raised some Rock X Cornish once.
            The youngest and me killed and gutted.
            The wife and the oldest skinned and quartered.
            I heard the youngest say, "YUCK!"
            The living birds were having a field day eating out of the gut bucket of their brethren!

BIRDS ARE NASTY!

Comment

...and extremely stupid!

Comment

I figure they can pick out bits of corn without ingesting too much poop, same way they can pick up beechnuts without eating dirt. And so what, anyway? The thought of grass-eater poop doesn't bother me much. Think of all the Indians and pioneers who cooked with it!

Trivia: In what excellent Western novel does a character say, "Dern, I hate cooking with shit." ? (I'm pretty sure the line didn't get into the movie.)
                Last edited by MattM37; 02-06-2020, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Matt, the only fuel used in Mongolia is dung. Yaks are brought into close quarters at night so the manure piles up and more readily gathered, formed into bricks than used for cooking and heating. If you are an honored guest, you get horse manure to heat your gur or yurt as it is more commonly called here in the States.. it smells better than the bovine variety. Kindest Regards

Comment

In West Virginia it is illegal to feed turkeys 10 days before the season. All feed has to be removed 10 days before season.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad