Turkey Hunting Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey Hunting Newbie

I am looking to do some Rio Grande turkey hunting this spring at Black Kettle WMA in Oklahoma. I have a Remington 870 Express that I want to use. What is the best shot and choke to use? I’m a relatively novice outdoorsman and have never harvested any game via my shotgun.

The best shot size is what patterns best in the your gun.
    The best choke is what gets you the best pattern.
    I shoot a Rem 870 Express.
    I bought an aftermarket "Xtra Full" choke tube.
    Works like a champ.
    Ammo!
    VERY good question!
    I don't buy the 3" Turkey specific, high dollar wonder ammo.
    I just use a good quality (Win) , high velocity (at least 1250fps) with 1 1/8 ounce of #8's.
    If you want to spend the dough on the high dollar ammo, that's up to you.
    The two birds in my avatar and two of the birds I posted on the other thread were killed with 8's. The bird with the little wooden stool was shot with 7 1/2's.
    Ammo is a matter of choice, but don't let anybody tell you that you've got to have 4s or 5s or 3" ammo.

Your aim point is the point on a turkeys neck where the feathers stop and the wattles start.
    DO NOT body shoot a turkey. He can haul off a lot of lead.
    Shoot him in the neck or head where you disrupt the central nervous system. That's your best chance.
    Keep your shots close. Thirty to 35 yards to start.

Comment

You don't need anything special for a choke, modified is more than adequate, full if you want a little more reach.

Any shot size 6-8 LEAD will kill turkeys just as dead just as quick as whatever super duper turkey smasher load is on the market while being a whole lot easier on your wallet and shoulder.

Comment

My State, Ohio, had a turkey hunting seminar I took 20 years ago. Good idea to get a good overall idea of hunting them. Equipment, safety and how to handle game was all covered. Look for something like that in your area. Try National Wildlife Turkey Federation for a start. NWTF. Jim

Comment

The only new thing I can add to what the other guys said is, After you pattern and find your most effective load, choke, and range, make sure you can effectively judge that same range in the woods. It's very exciting to have that tom coming in, and often he'll be in strut and looking mighty big and close; it's easy to think he's closer than he is. Know your range and if your good patterns were at, say, 35-40 yards, have the discipline to limit yourself to that range. Passing up a shot is much better than wounding a bird.

Comment

This is all great advice! Thanks a lot for the specific information and for not making me feel dumb for asking. I actually looked up the local Oklahoma-NWTF last night and found some events and things happening locally. I'm not sure how tag each of you in my replies yet but thanks jhjimbo, Red Angus, and FirstBubba for responding to multiple of my posts and trying to help a new hunter out!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad