best budget turkey decoy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best budget turkey decoy?

I would love to have some dsd decoys under-the-open-sky.com/best-turkey-decoys/ but cannot afford them. I'm looking for opinions on the best looking cheap decoys. I'm looking to replace my fold up wally world decoys with some that look a little bit more realistic without breaking the bank. Thanks!
    Last edited by Indyros; 10-29-2019, 07:06 AM.

Originally posted by Indyros View Post
    I would love to have some dsd decoys but cannot afford them. I'm looking for opinions on the best looking cheap decoys. I'm looking to replace my fold up wally world decoys with some that look a little bit more realistic without breaking the bank. Thanks!
    Indyros, I am afraid ‘best looking cheap decoys’fall into the category of ‘getting what you pay for’ and there seems to be no ‘silver bullet’ in that regards. I have no answer for you but wish you luck from some other source.
    Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 10-16-2019, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I can't think of any brands or model numbers, but in general it all seemed like Bass Pro had good ones that were pretty inexpensive. Maybe check there or on their website. Last time I even looked at decoys, though, was quite a while before the 3-digit price tags started appearing. Trends like that often seem to raise prices across the board.

And maybe you get what you pay for in terms of how they look to the hunter, but I doubt it matters to the turkeys. I think the super-realistic decoy trend is just a prime example of profiting on gear a hunter doesn't really need. Same with the high-tech camo, fancy turkey vests, etc. Call me Elmer if you want to, I don't mind.

I always did just fine with the cheapies, one of which (a "Hot Hen" from Kmart) just had a dusky brown body and gray head. The birds I hunt get plenty of pressure, and back when I used the decoys, the older ones were fooled as often as the eager little jakes.

Incidentally, I've enjoyed my turkey hunts a lot more since I gave up decoys entirely. Not suggesting you should, too -- I'm just offering one man's experience. I found myself getting too concerned with that perfect decoy set-up, and what spots were better for decoys, etc. The decoys just aren't that important, next to all the other aspects of turkey-hunting.
      Last edited by MattM37; 10-16-2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

When I got into turkey hunting, I spent all my "mad" money on calls.
        Then I read an article on making "wingbone" yelpers! Click image for larger version

Name:	15712488484574034054850018882101.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	716235 Cheaper, much more fun to make and work like a champ. Not only that, I quit burning up my money on calls.
        Then it was "dekes".
        I tried the blow up type. By the time I got three dekes inflated, I was too tired to hunt! LOL! AND...they were too easily punctured.
        Then came the "Wally World" fold up.
        Worked okay but birds didn't just flock to it.
        Then, Knight and Hale came out with their "Pretty Boy, Pretty Girl" set up! I couldn't wait to spend my $100 bill!
        After hauling them around for three seasons and never having a bird even look at them, I bagged them and threw them in the storeroom. They're still there!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20191016_125354.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	716236
        This is now the "deke" I tote!
        The two weeks in the spring when the breeding activity (rut?) is heaviest, bull gobblers CAN NOT resist it.
        That shade of blue drives them nuts!
        It's cheap and it works.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          When I got into turkey hunting, I spent all my "mad" money on calls.
          Then I read an article on making "wingbone" yelpers! Click image for larger version

Name:	15712488484574034054850018882101.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	716235 Cheaper, much more fun to make and work like a champ. Not only that, I quit burning up my money on calls.
          Then it was "dekes".
          I tried the blow up type. By the time I got three dekes inflated, I was too tired to hunt! LOL! AND...they were too easily punctured.
          Then came the "Wally World" fold up.
          Worked okay but birds didn't just flock to it.
          Then, Knight and Hale came out with their "Pretty Boy, Pretty Girl" set up! I couldn't wait to spend my $100 bill!
          After hauling them around for three seasons and never having a bird even look at them, I bagged them and threw them in the storeroom. They're still there!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20191016_125354.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	716236
          This is now the "deke" I tote!
          The two weeks in the spring when the breeding activity (rut?) is heaviest, bull gobblers CAN NOT resist it.
          That shade of blue drives them nuts!
          It's cheap and it works.
          You’ve been holding out on us! We’ve got to try that next spring, there’s a pool noodle in the garage that’s the perfect color. I could make a whole flock!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

You’ve been holding out on us! We’ve got to try that next spring, there’s a pool noodle in the garage that’s the perfect color. I could make a whole flock!
            It does make you wonder just exactly how their vision works, or how their brains process what they see. We know how sharp their eyes are, but just a splotch of the right color on a stick ... !
            Sounds like the "trigger" strike response that fish have.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

It does make you wonder just exactly how their vision works, or how their brains process what they see. We know how sharp their eyes are, but just a splotch of the right color on a stick ... !
              Sounds like the "trigger" strike response that fish have.
              The trigger reaction wouldn’t surprise me at all. Like watching videos of a Tom attacking a downed bird that was just shot. Strange but who knows?

I’m going to try it, might even leave one up in front of a trail cam later in the season to see what happens. Try it early and it might loose it’s effect.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

The trigger reaction wouldn’t surprise me at all. Like watching videos of a Tom attacking a downed bird that was just shot. Strange but who knows?

I’m going to try it, might even leave one up in front of a trail cam later in the season to see what happens. Try it early and it might loose it’s effect.
                The second of the two birds in my avatar was 100 yards away when I shot the first one. I racked a second round into the 870 and stayed very still.
                The first bird flopped just a little.
                He started slowly walking towards the downed bird, slowly picking up speed until he was in a dead run.
                He stopped at the dead bird, pecked him twice, spurred him a couple of times then stretched his neck and head as high as he could! Big mistake!
                19 & 22 pounds!
                Since I didn't time it, I can only guess both birds on the ground in 15 to 20 seconds.
                One double beard tom.
                One bearded hen.
                One "double" on toms.
                That's gotta be a "Grand Slam" of some sort! LOL!
                Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-17-2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                  I can't think of any brands or model numbers, but in general it all seemed like Bass Pro had good ones that were pretty inexpensive. Maybe check there or on their website. Last time I even looked at decoys, though, was quite a while before the 3-digit price tags started appearing. Trends like that often seem to raise prices across the board.

And maybe you get what you pay for in terms of how they look to the hunter, but I doubt it matters to the turkeys. I think the super-realistic decoy trend is just a prime example of profiting on gear a hunter doesn't really need. Same with the high-tech camo, fancy turkey vests, etc. Call me Elmer if you want to, I don't mind.

I always did just fine with the cheapies, one of which (a "Hot Hen" from Kmart) just had a dusky brown body and gray head. The birds I hunt get plenty of pressure, and back when I used the decoys, the older ones were fooled as often as the eager little jakes.

Incidentally, I've enjoyed my turkey hunts a lot more since I gave up decoys entirely. Not suggesting you should, too -- I'm just offering one man's experience. I found myself getting too concerned with that perfect decoy set-up, and what spots were better for decoys, etc. The decoys just aren't that important, next to all the other aspects of turkey-hunting.
                  Good advice there Elmer 😋

Comment

Killed a few toms w cheap foldable Featherflex hen decoy. Think I paid 15 bucks fir the first one. Finally got too worn after a few yrs. Bought another but havent been out. The newer stuff costs 75 and up....look more realistic.

Dont think it matters. If a tom is fired up they come in. Have killled a few w no decoy. But that gun hunting. Like to cover lots of ground if need be. Lighter is better. Folder the only choice for me hunting that way. Single spot w a blind....tryin w bow.

Might invest in a more realistic multi bird setup

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad