Where did the dove hunters go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did the dove hunters go?

September 1 and Labor Day are normally big dove hunting days around here.
    I don't dove hunt any longer. I'm not crazy about eating them so it's just not worth burning the ammo.
    BUT....
    I normally can hear hunters shooting all around the house.
    Heaven only knows the countryside is absolutely loaded with dove.
    I bet I haven't heard 10 shots all season.
    Has anybody else done any dove hunting?
    Are there plenty birds in your area?
    Are you a dedicated dove hunter or just the occasional scattergunner?

Used to hit the dove hunting pretty hard back in the 80's.
    Then after a decade it was just an "opening day" kinda thing.
    Buddy and I usually hunt a certain F&W area.

One of us (or both ) drawn.
    This one of the very few years we blanked.

I did buy 7 boxes of steel shot though (better luck next year).
    Thought about driving to closer place and sit for a couple hrs yesterday.
    But with weather changes/allergies was too miserable.

Didn't do anything other than check out an archery shop I'd never been to, an hr away.
    Of course the bow I wanted, none in stock.

Comment

I hunted doves regularly when I lived in Texas, under an arrangement with a rancher who never let anyone hunt on his place.
      We hunted together and he kept all the doves we shot to make some kind of dove pie.
      I had no use for the birds, and got to shoot all I wanted, while he got companionship and an extra helping of doves.

Comment

The dove hunters are alive and well in East NC. Season opened on Labor Day. I hunted that day and the day after on a field in the National Forest that is managed for doves. The first 2 days of the season require you to draw a permit. Monday the fields had just the perfect amount of hunters to be safe but keep them up in the air. Tuesday there were only a handful of us, figure most folks were back at work. I went this past Friday evening and there were a handful of other guys there. And my best deer hunting spot is about a mile from the dove fields, and every time I hunt it on a Saturday I hear a lot of shooting from the dove fields.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Snapshot
          by Ontario Honker Hunter
          Outfitter advised that I take $2,000 US with me to Africa and pay the rest with my VISA. Turns out I didn't need more than $700 cash (could have got...
          Today, 08:26 PM
        • Snapshot
          by jhjimbo
          What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
          I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
          Yesterday, 04:28 PM
        • Reply to Give them all they need ...
          by 99explorer
          Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
          When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
          Today, 07:29 PM
        • Give them all they need ...
          by jhjimbo
          I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
          10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
        • Reply to Snapshot
          by FirstBubba
          Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
          I've never carried over about $1500.
          Today, 07:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X